Artists to Check Out This Spring to Prep for This Summer’s Festival Scene

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With spring right around the corner, it’s never too early to start planning your ultimate summer. If music festivals are your thing, summer 2020 is about to be one to remember. You might be thinking, there are so many options! How do I decide which festival I want to go to? How do I even start looking? Well, don’t fret! Buying festival tickets is an important decision, so we’re here to make sure you don’t miss out on your favorite artists with this helpful guide.

Miley Cyrus

Starting off with one of my personal favorite artists, Miley Cyrus is back and better than ever. After a turbulent year of heartbreak, recovery, some new music, and a brand new relationship, Miley is soon to release a whole new album following her 2019 EP, She Is Coming. Her new music is bound to be raw, emotional, and I predict some of her best work yet.

Songs you might recognize: “Mother’s Daughter”, “Malibu”, “Wrecking Ball”, and “Party in the USA”.

Where you can find her: BottleRock Napa Valley, Gov Ball, Bonnaroo, and more!

Rage Against The Machine

After an 8-year hiatus, Rage Against the Machine are reuniting for their “Public Service Announcement” tour, making this their first full-length world tour in 20 years. Known for their extremist anti-authoritarian and revolutionary political views, their reunion couldn’t be more timely with the upcoming election.

Songs you might recognize: “Killing In The Name”, “Bulls On Parade”, “Guerrilla Radio”, and “Testify”.

Where you can find them: Coachella, Boston Calling, Firefly Festival, and more!

Stevie Nicks

Stevie Nicks was the first woman to be inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame twice, following her first induction when she was part of Fleetwood Mac in 1998 and as a solo artist in 2019. To accompany her induction, she released an anthology set, Stand Back: 1981-2017. A 70’s icon, Stevie Nicks is bound to rock this summer’s festival scene like no other.

Songs you might recognize: “Edge of Seventeen”, “Stop Draggin’ My Heart Around”, “Dreams”, and “Rhiannon”.

Where you can find her: BottleRock Napa Valley and Gov Ball.

Tame Impala

Following the release of his highly-anticipated new album, The Slow Rush, Tame Impala (a.k.a. Kevin Parker) is back to the festival scene this summer after touring in 2019. Last summer, Tame Impala headlined Boston Calling Music Festival, and I can say from personal experience that it’s one show you don’t want to miss.

Songs you might recognize: “The Less I Know The Better”, “Borderline”, “Feels Like We Only Go Backwards”, “Let It Happen”. 

Where you can find him: Gov Ball, Lollapalooza, Bonnaroo, Austin City Limits, and more!

These are just a handful of dozens of acts in these awesome festival lineups. To read more about each festival’s lineup click the links in this article to be redirected to their websites.

Danielle Efrat

U Mass Amherst '23

Danielle is a Junior majoring in Art History and minoring in Art and Education at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about all things photography, travel, music, and her dogs, Bruno & Buddy, which you can see pictures of on her Instagram @daniellefrat
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst