alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

Artist Profile: Jerry Williams

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Meet adorable singer-songwriter Jerry Williams. With a voice that puts listeners at ease, relatable lyrics and a quintessentially British wardrobe anyone would be envious of, it doesn’t take long to get hooked.

I was lucky enough to happen upon her while studying abroad, where she was the opening act at a gig. It took all of thirty seconds for Williams to win over the crowd. She’s not showy or overly theatrical like some performers, just incredibly talented—a huge part of her charm. She feels approachable, like someone it would be easy to befriend.

Her music makes you want to sit in a field full of flowers, drive down the coast with the top down and walk down a London street, splashing in puddles (somehow all at the same time?). I guess the point is that it just makes you feel good.

With songs that address everything from unrequited love to boys acting like pigs, any Collegiette can find herself in Williams’ lyrics. 

HC: Can you tell us a bit about how you got started in the industry?

JW: I started playing a lot of local gigs around Portsmouth when I was 17 and over that time, I met a lot of people and gained some fans. I then met Jeff Powell, from Big Hug Management, who is now my manager and we’ve been working together ever since! 

HC: Who would your dream collaboration be with?

JW: I love a band called Slow Club. Their music and lyrics just connect with me so much! Chris Martin from Coldplay would be a dream too, I don’t think I dislike any song of theirs.

HC: If you could travel anywhere in the world, where would it be?

JW: I think I’d have to say Australia. My Auntie traveled there and said it’s just amazing…she’s really sold it to me! I just looks so beautiful! There’s a city in Croatia as well called Hvar which looks looooovely, there’s a wicked music festival there in the summer too. 

HC: Do you have a favorite gig you’ve played?

JW: The first gig I played with my band was amazing. It was at the Birdcage in Portsmouth and it was a practice run for future shows, so the audience was just family and friends. I got the biggest buzz from that show and it just made me so excited for the future. I remember really going for it on stage, so my neck hurt for ages after haha! Main Stage Wilderness and Victorious Festival were so, so good too.

HC: Is there a possibility we’ll see you in America anytime soon?

JW: If I had the chance to go to America and play then I would be straight out there!

HC: Who would you say your main musical influences are?

JW: Bands like Slow Club, Coldplay, Vampire Weekend, David Gray, Jamie T. 

HC: What’s your favorite part of playing live?

JW: Just the buzz. I love singing to a great crowd, I really bounce off the audience. Being able to let go and get lost in your music is an exhilarating experience.

HC: What is one venue you dream of playing at?

JW: Hmmm I’m not sure. I really love intimate gigs but I’m not gonna lie, I’d love to say, “HELLO WEMBLEYYY,” one day.

HC: What’s one thing the world doesn’t know about you that you’d like them to know?

JW: I’m really really really in to Derren Brown. I must’ve watched every single programme and show he’s done. I wanna be his mate.

Be sure to check out Jerry on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Youtube and iTunes!

Photos/Videos: 1234, 56

Catie Baumgartner

U Mass Amherst

Linguist, sports enthusiast & all-around adventurer with a severe case of wanderlust.