Are We Too Sensitive of a Society? Looking at Political Correctness Today

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Especially within this past presidential election cycle, the term political correctness has been frequently brought up. It’s become “a catch-all synonym for liberal cowardice or caution,” perpetuated by figureheads such as President-elect Donald Trump. Discussions of politically correct behavior and language repeatedly occur within our present culture, often through negative portrayals.

So what’s up with being politically correct?

A wide range of people, left and right, liberal and conservative, have criticized the idea throughout its history. The phrase has been used ironically, seriously, literally; it has been rebranded multiple times. Today, being politically correct is about adapting to the things around you, focusing on the issues plaguing our country. It’s about educating yourself about others, gaining knowledge of how you could be affecting someone else, and allowing this knowledge to shape your words and actions.

So why don’t people support being politically correct? Does political correctness equate to censorship? Does it mean we’re too fragile?

When Fox reporter Megyn Kelly called out Donald Trump for making crude comments about women, he responded, “The big problem this country has is being politically correct.”

To begin with, is this really a big problem in our country? There seem to be many more problems our nation is facing. The classification on politically correct language as being a big problem discredits the language Trump actually used, which was offensive and much more of an issue. Trump viewed the public’s response as a problem, but how? How was responding negatively to degrading comments something to be ridiculed for? Furthermore, Trump justified women in the military and disagreement with Muslim profiling by law enforcement to be both politically correct attempts in our society. However, women in the military simply represent equal opportunity, while religious profiling is something our country supposedly has been against since the days of the Constitution (i.e., freedom of religion). After Trump called Mexicans “rapists,” NBC nullified its business relationship with him regarding his reality TV show, “The Apprentice,” which led to his accusation that NBC was trying to be politically correct. But maybe they just couldn’t support a person who accused an entire nation of being rapists? 

Trump supporters often defend their support for him when he says crude things, indicating that they like him for just that—he speaks his mind, and he’s not politically correct. Yet, expressing your opinion doesn’t mean you are necessarily not politically correct. Donald Trump is often politically incorrect not because he expresses his opinions, but because he does not consider the weight and severity of his harmful words. Trump allowed for ordinary citizens to mimic him in his crusade against the politically correct by spouting detrimental language and closeminded views. Trump supports indecency and vulgarity in his criticisms of political correctness. 

While people such as Donald Trump criticize political correctness as creating censorship, they fail to address that they are perpetuating their views as the only way of thinking. They fail to address that their prejudice censors others. Utilizing politically correct language, and therefore considering other types of people, generates open discussion about a wide range of issues, about inclusivity of people to participate in the discussion. Liberal discourse doesn’t necessarily mean the discourse of the Democratic party; it also can represent a way of thinking that is open to a multitude of opinions. Being inclusive doesn’t mean you have to censor your thoughts or be inauthentic. 

There is also a debate between the concepts of free speech and politically correct language. But are the two really opposite? They both call for open discussion; being politically correct doesn’t mean an erasure of opinions. Rather, it means considering other opinions and expressing thought in a manner that doesn’t accept discrimination and prejudice. Disagreement and discrimination are two very different things, which can be easily overlooked in today’s political and social culture. Political correctness celebrates open political debate, but rejects uninformed and uneducated discourse. Censorship is not the goal of political correctness.

Disagreeing with political correctness often appears to come from a point of privilege within our society. While issues may not plague you specifically, being politically correct regularly focuses on standing with others, on solidarity. Critics argue that if you are politically correct you are ignoring things, turning your back on issues. Yet, being politically correct is actually about addressing issues in our culture. While you may not think microaggressions and cultural appropriation affect you, a society of exclusivity affects all of us. Using an anti-PC perspective has validated, in some minds, the usage of intolerant language. 

You may not agree with political correctness, yet perpetuating offensive language is harmful to everyone. If you employ racist, sexist, homophobic language, why shouldn’t you be held accountable? 

Critics argue that American values are diminished by stressing political correctness. As a country whose principles were initially documented by strictly privileged white men, I think it is fair to say we have worked to include more types of people throughout the years—that things have changed—and our language and actions should reflect that.

One of the biggest critiques of political correctness is that people are just too sensitive these days—everyone needs to just “toughen up.” Yeah, so maybe we are a little sensitive. But when did sensitive have a negative connotation? We just know better now. Sensitivity should be a positive thing, as it means we are considering the feelings of others rather than just of ourselves.

Maybe we have gone too far. Maybe we are too focused on saying the right things. But maybe we are placing concerns of others onto the forefront. Maybe we realize both our actions and words can be offensive and detrimental. Maybe our sensitivity acts as a humanizing force within our culture, as a reminder that your identity should not be valued any more than another’s.

We must never underestimate the power of language and its ability to generate change. Steps to progress don’t have to be revolutionary; they just have to happen.

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Images: 1, 2, 3, 45

Louise Monroe

U Mass Amherst

Currently a junior English and Communication double major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst.  Lover of Shonda Rhimes, dogs, feminism, and excessive amounts of espresso.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst