Style > Fashion

Are the New Boston Birks Worth It? Here are 6 Ways to Style Them

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

So what are the so-called Boston Birks that are going viral on TikTok? These close-toed Birkenstock clogs have been flooding my for you page. I’m sure you’ve seen them all over the place, but how do you style them? At first, they’re cute, but they can be an inconvenience. After first seeing them, I was intrigued and eager to buy them, but when thinking about pairing them with items in my closet, I found myself getting lost. Here are six easy ways that will make styling them effortless.

overalls with a neutral tee

Overalls, whether denim or corduroy, is a perfect match with the Boston Birks. Shoes can be a mystery when it comes to styling overalls, but Birks give the outfit a look that can be both laid back and stylish. 

Kristen Bryant-Urban Outfitters Inspired Overalls Sports Bra Crop Top Lala Girls 2
Kristen Bryant / Her Campus
cargo pants with an oversized tee.

Cargo pants with an oversized tee are a staple go-to, but finding the right sneakers can be a bit tricky. Air Forces, Adidas, or Converse are cute but basic, and sometimes my feet cannot handle boots like Doc Martens. Birks can be subbed creating a look that is nonchalant and chic. 

Boyfriend jeans with a sweater

Boyfriend jeans and a sweater can be dressed up or dressed down. Birks are a classic option to give this look a fall feel. Fall activities that match this outfit perfectly include apple picking, pumpkin carving, and farmer’s market trips.

sweatpants and a baby tee

Wearing sweatpants and a baby tee are pretty much a recurrence for me especially when it starts to get cold. Dressing them up can be a bit difficult considering they are sweatpants. Birks give this look a casual put together impression.

matching sweatshirt and sweatshorts.

These clogs give the sweatshirt sweatshort combo the perfect mix between comfy and cute. If you’re not going for the athletic look, these clogs are a perfect addition that can be worn to Sunday brunch, or something as simple as grabbing a coffee. 

a long skirt with a baby tee

A long skirt with a baby tee can be styled in multiple ways, making it hard to choose which occasion you want it to be most fitting for. Birks can give a dressed-down vibe, matched with a neutral black or white shirt. On the other hand, it can be dressed up with a jean jacket and simple gold jewelry.

After exploring different outfits, I’ve concluded that Birks give a versatile, clean look that pushes me to experiment and challenge my fashion style. It’s hard to say I know of another pair of shoes that can be styled with sweatpants, cargo pants, overalls, and jeans. It’s safe to say that if I had to get rid of all my shoes and leave one pair, I’d pick these clogs. Being able to create multiple outfits with different vibes all within one shoe is a power I’m thankful I discovered. I highly recommend these shoes, especially with the cold weather approaching soon!  

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Olivia Boyd

U Mass Amherst '26

Olivia is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying communications and minoring in political science. Some of her passions include traveling, being active, trying new food, and watching sunsets. Growing up in Amsterdam, Olivia has traveled all across Europe and hopes to live there one day.