This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Pre-album thoughts

When I first heard that Lorde was releasing her third LP, Solar Power, more than four years after her masterpiece Melodrama, I could not have been more excited. While there has been no shortage of amazing new releases this year, this one was especially noteworthy to me. Melodrama holds such a special place in my heart that my expectations were impossibly high. I wasn’t expecting another Melodrama but I still expected greatness. 

Initial listen

When I first listened to the album, I wouldn’t say that I was disappointed, but rather just bored as it dragged on. I couldn’t finish the album in one sitting as I found it to be too slow and too quiet to keep my interest. Other than the singles “Solar Power,” “Stoned at the Nail Salon,” and “Mood Ring,” there were no songs that immediately stood out to me. I think that I put too much pressure on the album and on myself to like the album.

Subsequent listens

It took a few days for me to try again but when I did, it finally started to click. By letting go of my expectations, I began to appreciate the album for what it was rather than being disappointed by what it wasn’t. Lorde’s songwriting abilities really got to shine on this album since there was a less heavy emphasis on strong, synth production to carry the songs.

She discussed everything from fame on “The Path” and “California” to climate change on “Fallen Fruit” and “Solar Power.” Additionally, she talked about the death of her dog on “Big Star,” wellness culture on “Mood Ring” and “Dominoes,” and it wouldn’t be a Lorde album if she didn’t talk about growing older as she did on “Stoned at the Nail Salon” and “Secrets from a Girl (Who’s Seen it All).” 

Final thoughts

Although it doesn’t measure up to Melodrama, Solar Power is still a solid record by Lorde. Even with a more mellow production, I still found it to be interesting (after my first initial listen) and I think that she and producer Jack Anotonoff work extremely well together. Once again, Lorde’s mature writing ability helps carry even the worst songs on the album. While it took some getting used to, I like the change in style and sound that this album signifies for her. Happy listening, and here’s hoping that it’s not another four years before her next album!

Final rating: 7/10

Favorite tracks: “The Path,” “California,” “Fallen Fruit,” “Dominoes”

Least favorite tracks: “The Man with the Axe,” “Big Star”

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Alexandra Enos

U Mass Amherst '22

Alex is a junior at UMass Amherst studying political science and history.