Screen shot from game Among Us
Screen shot from game Among Us
Among Us / InnerSloth

‘Among Us’ – The Pandemic’s ‘Flappy Bird’?

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Everyone knows that once-hit of a game ‘Flappy Bird.’ It was so simple yet drove many people CRAZY! This may or may not include myself. It seemed as though the easy, tap-controlled game took the internet overnight, and although it didn’t last too long, people loved it.

I would be surprised if you hadn’t heard of the game ‘Among Us’ yet. Not only has it become wildly popular with all ages, but social media really shot the game up to another level. I, personally, learned about the game by asking some people after having seen around 15 memes made about it. The power of meme-culture is a conversation for another day, but from my understanding it had a big part in boosting this Mafia-like game to the masses.

When you first enter ‘Among Us’, you are given the option to host a game, join a public room, or type in the code of a specific room. While it’s sometimes nice to hold all of the power in your hands by being the administrator of a room, it’s very chill being just another player. Also, ‘Among Us’ is super fun because whether you’re a host or you join a near empty game, you and all of your friends can play together and get the same adrenaline-rush sensation.

Screen shot from game Among Us
Among Us / InnerSloth

Once you’re in the game with your chosen color and cute hat, (I’m yellow with a cherry on my head) you’ll either be shown a screen saying “Crewmate,” or “Imposter.” Generally, there are about 10 players in a game and there’s 1 imposter, but there can be fewer players and more imposters if that’s what the admin chooses. If you’re a crewmate, your goal is to stay alive, complete your tasks, and try to figure out the identity of the imposter. If you’re an imposter (good luck, my anxiety can’t handle it) your goal is to kill all of the crewmates before they finish their tasks or discover your identity.

Screen shot from game Among Us
Among Us / InnerSloth

*Okay I just took a writing break to play a game for research purposes and I was put as the imposter and my heart is RACING*

Although the new hit is quite a bit more complicated than ‘Flappy Bird’ with its different maps and varying tasks, it is so much fun once you get into it.

Kira Tosi

U Mass Amherst '23

Kira Tosi is a sophomore at U Mass Amherst, and an Italian Studies major. She grew up in a Russian family which sparked her passion for language, culture, and traveling. Follow along to hear about her crazy experiences around the world and potentially see pictures of her bunnies!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst