This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Thanksgiving is so important because it is the only holiday that celebrates the most important things in life: family, friends, and togetherness. Amherst is an incredibly generous and accepting town so there is no surprise that the town is participating in and hosting all sorts of charitable and festive events. Here are a few organizations that deserve recognition for their helping hand.

Amherst Survival Center

Volunteers and employees of the Amherst Survival Center (ASC) plan on giving back to their community by hosting their annual Thanksgiving dinner at the Immanuel Lutheran Church on North Pleasant St. today at 1pm.

Tracey Levy, ASC program director says she expects that “between 500 and 600 families will have a Thanksgiving because of the support from the community.”

The center has also teamed up the UMass’ Newman Center to distribute meals directly to the homes of those in need.

ASC Thanksgiving Dinner 2012

Center for Human Development

Their program called “Not Bread Alone” is also having a Thanksgiving dinner on Thursday, Thanksgiving Day. Not Bread Alone is an organization that offers free hot meals and groceries to anyone who needs them.

UMass Amherst

UMass helped out this season by hosting a food drive called “Stuff the Bus” where bus riders were able to provide non-perishable food items to a box seated at the front of each PVTA bus. All proceeds will go to the Amherst Survival Center and the Western Mass Food Bank.

A big THANK YOU to all in Amherst and the surrounding areas who donate their time and effort to making Thanksgiving possible for hundreds of local families.

On that note, Happy Thanksgiving Collegiettes and enjoy your break!

Sources

UMass Amherst News Relations

Amherst Bulletin

Not Bread Alone

MassLive

Brittaney Lynch

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst