This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Music takes on a huge role in my life, from walking to class in the morning, to working out in the gym and everything in between. I’d like to claim that I listen to a decently sized selection of genres and artists, and I’m always looking for more artists to follow on spotify. Here are my top 5 newest drops that I’ve been obsessing over! 

The Slow Rush// Tame Impala

Tame Impala is an indie style band that’s been around forever. If you aren’t previously familiar with them, they can be recognized by their funky, dreamy style of music that incorporates whimsical sounding vocals laid over groovy sounding instrumentals. Some of their most infamous songs include ‘The Less I Know the Better’, ‘Feels like We Only Go Backwards’ and ‘Yes I’m Changing’. My favorite songs off this newest album include; 

Posthumous forgiveness 

Breathe deeper 

Lost in yesterday 

Destiny

One More Hour

I really enjoyed this album from them–Tame Impala keeps bringing in new concepts for songs while keeping the same aesthetic throughout all of their work. The songs on this album seemed to revolve around self inception and reflection, again, a very on-brand theme throughout all their singles and albums. 

Artist 2.0// A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie

A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie is a hip-hop artist who’s dropped countless hits–he probably doesn’t need much of an introduction. From collabs with pop-stars to the most notorious rappers of our time, A Boogie is a super versatile artist whose style is constantly evolving. A Boogie does a great job with constantly switching up his style and sound, so every album he drops is an exciting new project that’s never been heard before. These are my favorite songs off the album;

Thug Love

Numbers

King Of My City

A Boogie’s style is definitely for listeners who like a harder sounding hip/hop sound, but he also incorporates a lot of singing in his songs, especially in this album. For those who aren’t super into rap and hip/hop, ‘Me and my Guitar’ is a super lyrically involved song that reminds me of something Post Malone would enjoy. 

Peaches (text Voter XX to 40649// K.Flay, grandson  

This is actually a single, but I just had to include it in my list. I’ve been listening to K. Flay since middle school days, so I always get super excited whenever she drops new music. K. Flay has a notoriously rasper voice that gives her a cool punk-rock sound. Her music lies somewhere between indie, and pop rock and definitely makes you feel all the feels. I think a lot of people can vibe to her work–her lyrics are super relatable and her style can fit with a lot of people’s aesthetic; whether you enjoy pop, rock, or indie music. I’m not quite sure who grandson is, but I do know his voice sounds really good paired with K. Flay’s.

My Turn// Lil Baby

Lil Baby is a hip/hop and Atlanta raised rapper that usually keeps a trap-inspired sound, inspired by where he grew up. This album features a bunch of my other favorite rappers, such as Future, Lil Uzi Vert and Young Thug. Here’s my favorite hits off this album;

Heatin Up

Live Off My Closet

Commercial 

Lil Baby is definitely an artist for anyone who loves Atlanta based rap and hard beats. One of the songs off this album, ‘Catch the Sun’, was featured in the cult movie ‘Queen and Slim’, so you may be familiar with this artist without even knowing it! I think this album is probably one of my favorites from Lil Baby

Blinding Lights// The Weeknd

I’m not really sure what my guy Abel is doing, but he’s dropped about three singles in the past month or so, so I think we can expect a new album coming out soon?! 

Blinding Lights is a super retro sounding song with a beat that reminds me of an 80’s workout video. Super catchy, super dreamy sounding. We love.

Heartless// The Weeknd

Heartless has a more hip/hop sounding beat, a song that’s fun to scream to in the car with your friends. 

After Hours// The Weeknd

After Hours is a steamy, sensual song that totally puts me all in my feels. Also, the beat makes me literally feel like Bella Hadid walking down the catwalk knowing I have The Weeknd wrapped around my fingers. Amazing feeling. 

No matter your music taste, I encourage you to try out listening to any of these albums or artists that jumps out at you! I love these songs and hope that you do too. If you want to find some more tunes to jam out to, check out the UMass Amherst HerCampus Spotify playlist! 

Becca Stevens

Amherst '23

Becca Stevens is a sophomore majoring in communication with a minor in business at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She loves all things health and beauty, but has a rich background in sustainability, which she ties into many of her articles. Becca wouldn’t be Becca without astrology and her headphones, which she’s probably using to find new music or watch a documentary.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst