Add These 5 Artists to Your “Walking to Class” Playlist

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, listening to music is an essential part of your day. I could be running 20 minutes late to class, and I would still take the time to pick the right soundtrack for my chaotic speed-walk across campus. I mean, what’s the point of walking anywhere if you don’t feel like you’re literally in a music video? I would argue that there is no point.

If you don’t have a playlist for walking to class yet, this is your sign to make one. There is nothing more empowering than strutting to class with some motivational beats in your ears. Here are my top five artists who keep me walking with a pep in my step, no matter where I’m headed.

Bleachers

First on my list is Bleachers. If my roommate had never introduced me to the voice of Jack Antonoff, my world would undoubtedly be a much darker place. If you aren’t familiar with Jack Antonoff, you’ve likely still heard his work. He co-wrote Taylor Swift’s “Dress,” “Look What You Made Me Do,”,and others. Antonoff also co-wrote and produced Lorde’s Melodrama album (a personal favorite of mine), and worked with other fantastic artists like Lana Del Rey and Nate Ruess. Included on his extremely impressive laundry list of accomplishments is his solo project, Bleachers. His songs are inspired by the John Hughes high school movie era of the 1980s, which makes them a perfect mix of nostalgia and youthful excitement. If you choose to listen to one artist off my list, please let it be Bleachers. They make walking to class feel like you’re moving through a coming-of-age montage, and who doesn’t love that?

My Bleachers Recommendations:

• “Rollercoaster,” Strange Desire
  • “Don’t Take the Money,” Gone Now
  • “Stop Making This Hurt,” Take the Sadness Out of Saturday Night
  • “I Wanna Get Better,” Strange Desire
  • “You’re Still a Mystery,” Strange Desire
Maggie Rogers

The second spot on my list goes to the unbelievably talented Maggie Rogers. I discovered Maggie Rogers in my senior year of high school, and she has been featured on every playlist of mine ever since. Every song of hers makes me want to wear a dainty flower crown and do cartwheels in a big, grassy field. Most of the time I’m actually just walking to class in my sweatpants and drinking a RedBull, but the positive energy is definitely still there.

My Maggie Rogers Recommendations:

• “Burning,” Heard It In A Past Life
  • “Light On,” Heard It In A Past Life
  • “On + Off,” Now That the Light Is Fading
  • “Retrograde,” Heard It In A Past Life
Dayglow

Anytime I listen to Dayglow, I automatically start smiling. This appropriately named indie-pop project by Sloan Struble seems to omit a warm comforting glow and is perfect for those dreary fall mornings. The youthful upbeat melodies make me feel young, wild, and free. On cold Monday mornings, who doesn’t need that kind of boost?

My Dayglow Recommendations:

• “Hot Rod,” Fuzzybrain
  • “Close to You,” Harmony House
  • “Can I Call You Tonight?” Fuzzybrain
  • “Run the World!!!” Fuzzybrain
  • “Medicine,” Harmony House
Julia Michaels

Julia Michaels and her music have slipped in and out of my life over the years. Like every other sophomore in high school, I was obsessed with “Issues” when it was first released. Then came “What a Time (feat. Niall Horan),” and my inner One Direction fanatic jumped for joy. I recently discovered her new album, Not in Chronological Order, and I have never felt so seen and heard. She’s a great artist to blast if you’ve been done dirty in a relationship, you’re head over heels for someone, or both, or neither. Julia Michaels is here for you, and she’ll help you get your day started off right.

My Julia Michaels Recommendations:

• “Wrapped Around,” Not In Chronological Order
  • “Pessimist,” Not In Chronological Order
  • “Falling For Boys,” Inner Monologue, Pt. 2
  • “Orange Magic,” Not In Chronological Order
Arctic Monkeys

I think I would really be lying to you all and to myself if I didn’t include Arctic Monkeys on this list. My obsession with them came over me like a wave, and they have a pretty solid hold on me at the moment. The rock band vibe definitely isn’t for everyone, but nothing gets me going in the morning like some Arctic Monkeys. I encourage you to give them a chance, even if just to feed your inner teenage angst.

My Arctic Monkeys Recommendations:

• “Knee Socks,” AM
  • “505,” Favourite Worst Nightmare
  • “Fluorescent Adolescent,” Favourite Worst Nightmare
  • “I Wanna Be Yours,” AM
  • “Snap Out of It,” AM

There you have it! Five artists who have been walking me to class every morning (in spirit). If you’re feeling it, give them a try! They’d love to escort you across campus, too.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Hanna Jane Kilduff

U Mass Amherst '24

When Hanna Jane isn't writing for Her Campus, you'll find her wandering aimlessly through thrift stores, listening to her color-coded playlists, or curled up under a blanket with her cat.