The Academic Contradiction: How Opposing Fields of Study Can Complement Each Other in the Real World

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Before I present my argument, I would like to say the following: this article goes beyond telling you, the reader, to either stop judging other people for their majors or allowing such judgement to get to you (this should be a given), but rather I want to emphasize the need for you to focus on yourselves. Seek out your passions, no matter what they are, and follow them. This is your education, and no one else’s. 

I will begin by explaining my certain “academic contradiction.” This terminology comes from one of my professors, when he first met with me outside of class to discuss my academic goals. When I told him that I study English and math, he wondered when I was going to settle down and pick one.

For a while, only my family and closest friends knew about my unique mix of studies. I didn’t go around broadcasting it to my peers in class, particularly in my math classes. I was worried about losing respect. I got tired of raised eyebrows and questions along the lines of “are you crazy?” or “what are you going to do with that?”

But now, as I’ve gotten further into my studies, I’m realizing that this isn’t so weird and it should be talked about. I know that there are other people out there that are doing it, and those that can and want to do it but are held back by this binary of humanities and STEM—an issue that has really developed in our generation. Who’s to say I can’t study both English and math? I used to study both just because I liked them and I didn’t want to eliminate either one, but now I’m realizing their applicability in my life, both now and in the future.

My internship with a publishing agency only made me more confident with my “contradiction.” I read manuscripts with the eyes of both a writer and a STEM student. My math background helped me mechanically break down sentences in a literal sense, making sure there were no loop holes or contradictions. I’ve realized that grammar is like math: it is the construction that makes a sentence understandable, much like a mathematical proof. On the other hand, my English background helped me with critiquing character development and plot. The math came in during the read through, as I line edited and rearranged sentences, and the English came in after the read through, when I had to give the author constructive feedback on the manuscript’s success.

I have also applied these techniques to my classes here at UMass. When I write an essay, I pull all my arguments apart, making sure my points are logical and lead to a general conclusion, much like a mathematical theorem. I attack certain equations with a critical mind, but also with creativity, a skillset I gained from my participation in the humanities.

So the obvious point: don’t make quick judgements, assessments or assumptions of students in other majors. They might think more like you than you originally thought, or they could have a skill you lack. More importantly, if you love something don’t let academia hold you back. Even if your future career doesn’t seem to “use” one of your majors, the perspectives you gain from varying areas of study can only enhance your perspective of the real world.

It’s all about perspective. When I meet someone in a different major I oftentimes find myself noticing the ways in which they think—how they parallel and contrast with the ways in which I think. When these perspectives come together and converse in healthy discussion, a new level of understanding can be achieved. By studying English and math, I have only further immersed myself into two different worlds of thought and I can tell you one thing: they’re not as different as you originally thought.

I look forward to the next time I am asked, “What are you going to do with that?” Because now I have a response.

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4

Kristen Forscher

U Mass Amherst

English major with math and IT minor, interested in publishing. UMass Amherst class of 2018.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst