A Source of Peace in a World of Noise: My Love Letter to Cooking

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I was introduced to the world of cooking in middle school when I was asked to cook dinner entirely by myself for the first time. 

Both of my parents have jobs that require them to be home later in the evenings. As such, when my sisters and I were old enough to stay home by ourselves, I, as the oldest sister, took up the mantle of preparing dinner

I began originally with recipes and ingredients provided by a delivery service, as a way of simplifying the task of me helping my parents. Once I got the hang of cooking and developed a repertoire of applicable skills, I found other recipes that I wanted to try, further immersing myself in the process. 

Initially, I saw cooking as a chore, but the older I got, the more special the process became to me. I was able to help my family while also gaining something for myself. Cooking gives you the opportunity to learn about another culture, maintain a family tradition, or practice a new skill. Even more so, cooking is a way to connect with people around you and learn about them in a way you might not have considered before. 

My favorite part about cooking is the way in which it provides comfort and quiet. I appreciate the way in which it creates a serene environment for me to focus on one task at a time and eventually reach the overarching goal of creating a meal for myself and others. My brain is often full of buzzing ideas and tasks that need to be completed, but cooking can be anywhere between 20 minutes to an hour in which my only focus is the task of making something to eat. 

The intricacies of a recipe and the necessary precision for measurements require my complete attention, which allows me to focus on something other than the long list of tasks that need to be completed afterward. With a movie or a show playing in the background, my brain is entirely occupied while preparing a meal, allowing for a much-needed period of relaxation

Cooking has been and will remain a hobby and a skill that I value and love so much. It has provided me with the chance to learn so much from other people in my life and to participate in the traditions that have been handed from one generation of my family to the next. It has given me an outlet for anxieties and has become something that I greatly look forward to doing each day. 

While cooking may seem like something that is extremely difficult, the smallest and easiest of recipes can be a chance to step into the realm of cooking and embrace something new. 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Lucie Daignault

U Mass Amherst '23

Lucie is a fifth-semester member at HerCampus and a senior psychology major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. Outside of HerCampus, Lucie is the vice president of the criminology club, a small group leader with CHAARG, and a volunteer with MASSPIRG. She loves writing and is excited to share her ideas and learn from her peers!