Life > Experiences

A Long Distance Friendship: Ways to Stay in Contact With Your Out-Of-State Friends

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The end of second semester. A sad time of saying farewells to classes, your favorite dining hall, your dorm, and most importantly, your friends. When seeing your friends and roommate every day, it can be difficult to process that you won’t have that same schedule for the next three months. I know for me, I have certainly grown a codependency with my friends where we do almost everything together, every day.

As an out-of-state student, the looming fear of not being able to see many of my friends over the summer is growing by the hour. Most of my friends live in Massachusetts, and it will be difficult for me to see them due to the large distance to New York. So, I have created a plan for how I can ensure I stay in constant contact with my friends. 

The biggest tip I can give to out-of-state students is to FaceTime as much as possible. Coordinate times with your friends each week that will work best for both of you, where you can update one another on your summers and reminisce on the past year at UMass. Having time to call and speak to one another is a perfect way to keep up your friendship. Not only this, but you can take the time to show your college friends your hometown and where you live when not in college. This not only ensures that you guys stay connected, but it is also a great way to cheer up and remember that you will see each other soon once again.

Another tip I have, if feasible, is to try to visit them once over the summer. Either drive, take a bus, train, or even a flight if not too expensive. It is great to see where your friends grew up, and it allows you to learn even more about them and how they became the people they are today. This also tremendously helps to not miss them as much, as you get some time to see one another before the start of the school year. I already know I am visiting multiple of my friends, and it is helping me not feel as sad as we all say our goodbyes and move out!

Lastly, I would recommend to keep reminding yourself that summer is not forever, and soon enough, you will be right back in Amherst in the swing of things. Though it is tough to think of now, summer is a time for you to relax and spend some time at home that is likely, even if it doesn’t seem like it, very needed. So, enjoy your time at home, stay connected with your friends from college, and look forward to the new year ahead that will be full of new memories and laughs. 

Though it is hard to go home and say goodbye to your year spent, remember this is not the end. Summer is a great way to work, relax, spend time with family, and catch up with hometown friends who you have likely not seen in months. So, enjoy the time, and know soon enough, you will be moving right back in and will be back in Amherst.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!  

Sara Keegan

U Mass Amherst '26

Sara is a freshman at UMass studying Political Science. Some of her passions include reading, going to concerts, and traveling.