Life > Experiences

A Local’s Guide To The New Hampshire Seacoast; Three Beaches, Ranked By Vibe

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

At the time of writing, a quick Google search for “The Hamptons” will yield 423 million results in about half a second. Most resources will detail a string of high-class seaside towns in Eastern Long Island, which are referenced left and right in music and TV. When I first heard about The Hamptons, I was puzzled. I had been going to The Hamptons every summer for my entire life, but my experience there didn’t really reflect what the media had portrayed. So, what gives?

If you’re from New England, you might see what I’m getting at here. But if not, I’ll dish the deets. Nestled along the New Hampshire seacoast are three beaches near and dear to my heart: South Hampton State Park, the main Hampton Beach Strip, and North Hampton. The Hamptons of my childhood were over 200 miles North of the real Hamptons. That said, I think my confusion as a child was totally valid. So, for the purposes of this article, I will be renaming this cluster The Hampton Trio. Aside from the names, though, these beaches couldn’t be any more unique. Read on for a comprehensive review of each beach in The Hampton Trio in northward geographical order.

1. South Hampton Beach

Hampton’s South Waterfront is every coastal grandmother’s dream. Ample parking, beautiful dunes, and a large tide pool to keep the grandkids busy. It’s adjacent to the Hampton Harbor Inlet, making it a fun place to watch the boats go by or even cast a line out into the channel. This section of the beach is also home to New Hampshire’s only seaside RV park. Overnight rates start at $50 per camper, which is by far the cheapest accommodation you can find so close to the sand. If I had an RV, I would probably spend every night there and live out my beach girl dreams. If you find yourself planning a trip to coastal New Hampshire this summer, I’d highly recommend stopping at South Hampton first. All you need is some sunscreen and a stocked cooler to have a great day here.

2. The main Hampton beach strip

With its live music, weekly firework shows, and seemingly endless dining possibilities, The Strip is easily the most entertaining section of Hampton Beach State Park. This is where my parents always took me as a kid, and to this day, we still love the convenient location and lively atmosphere it provides.

Parking can be few and far between if you don’t arrive early, so I usually shoot to get there no later than 8 a.m. because once the metered parking lot fills up, you’re looking at a long walk. If an early wake-up just isn’t your thing, you should plan to arrive around 2 p.m. when the morning crowd gets tuckered out — then you can catch a few hours of sun and stay for an evening concert at the Seashell Stage!

For a perfect day at Hampton, start off with breakfast and coffee at The Green Room, enjoy a homemade sandwich on the beach, and then stop by Bernie’s Beach Bar for good food and drinks with an ocean view. Click here to explore all of the nearby restaurants.

3. North Hampton (the wall)

This one is for all you surfers out there. North Hampton is just beyond the hustle and bustle of The Strip and is a smaller beach with a bit more rocks and seaweed than the other two. Nicknamed after its 12 foot high sea wall, North Hampton is a hot spot for surfing along the New Hampshire coastline. The famous Cinnamon Rainbows Surf Company holds prime real estate right along the water and has been a hit since it came to Hampton in 1983. The shop also provides surf lessons and rentals every summer. I’m not much of a surfer myself, but rumor has it the swells at North Beach are some of the best in the area.

The Lalatwo Surfers With Surf Boards
Her Campus Media

It’s safe to say that Hampton, New Hampshire has a little something for everyone. Whether you prefer picturesque dunes, a bustling boardwalk, or a day shredding the surf, you’d surely enjoy a trip to my favorite town on the New Hampshire seacoast. I know I truly cannot wait for my first beach day of the season, and a trip to Bernie’s Beach Bar is definitely in order.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Katherine Fillion

U Mass Amherst '24