Life > Experiences

A Local’s Guide to Fall Favorites In Western Mass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you love fall for spooky season or for everything pumpkin spice, Western Massachusetts is a great place to be during the changing of the leaves. Although we often are forgotten about when it comes to general places to be and things to do in the state, being two hours outside of Boston during autumn provides plenty of places to live out all of your favorite fall festivities. Growing up in the area, I’m going to give you some places you should definitely check out in the months of October and November.

All The Scares

If fall for you specifically means getting scared out of your wits, you’ve got a few options. Six Flags New England holds their annual Fright Fest at their amusement park in Agawam, MA on weekends and select days. This event contains haunted houses, scare zones, and more to turn your fears into reality. Admission tickets can be purchased separately for the evening festivities or tacked onto a day pass. And don’t worry, if you just want to enjoy the theme park, the daytime hours aren’t as terrifying; just some fun, spooky spirit.

Another spot to check out is McCray’s Farm in South Hadley, MA. Their Monster Mash Scream Park is a haunted hayride-esque tour through their acres of land featuring scare actors, jump scares, and props that are sure to give you a fright. It’s a Western Mass favorite that runs through the weekends in October and has been around for 32 years, and it certainly deserves the hype.

Finally, if you think you’re brave enough to best these two events, Demented FX in Holyoke, MA may be the challenge for you. Given the title of the “Scariest Haunted Attraction in America” and “The Number One Haunted Attraction in Massachusetts,” if the first two don’t leave you sleeping with your lights on, this horror experience will do the trick. Running on weekends in October, I’d proceed to try this one with caution (especially if you’re like me and any gore or disturbing images hurt your stomach).

Mazes, Leaves, and Pumpkins, Oh My!

If scares aren’t your thing and you prefer some more tame fall fun, don’t fret, I feel the same way. One of my favorite activities is a corn maze and luckily there are some of the best close by. The most famous is probably Mike’s Maze, located in Sunderland, MA. Voted the “Number One Corn Maze in the Country” by Yahoo News, the eight-acre maze is filled with trivia and themed to create more of an experience than your average field of corn. If you get through the maze by the time they close, you can take in the beautiful fall foliage at the base of Mount Sugarloaf, eat some farm-fresh delicacies, pick a pumpkin, shoot a potato cannon, and so much more.

While you’re in Sunderland, you might as well stick around and climb the Mount Sugarloaf State Reservation, where you get a beautiful view of the fall foliage in the Pioneer Valley, Connecticut River, and of course, the W.E.B Dubois library (if you look closely). Any reservation or mountain located in Berkshires is guaranteed to be filled with fantastic sights of autumn colors; two favorites are Mount Greylock and Monument Mountain. Be sure to stop by a pumpkin patch to pick out the pumpkin of your choice for carving, painting, or simply for decoration. There are plenty around, but my favorite is definitely Westview Farms in Monson, MA.

photo of corn field
Aaron Burden/Unsplash

All the autumn eats

Now we’re talking. I’m sure if you’re from the Amherst area, you’ve heard of Atkins Farms and their famous cider donuts and apple cider. And they live up to the hype, that’s for sure. I’m on my third bag as I’m writing this. Regardless, a fall in Western Mass isn’t complete without a visit to this local market, featuring local and organic items as well as many specialized fall treats and decor. Its cozy feel is something I look forward to every year.

Forget simply pumpkin spice, Agawam’s Java Shop in Feeding Hills has a literal pumpkin menu (served year round) of pumpkin specialty drinks. If you’re craving a fall pick-me-up, this is the spot. Apples are another essential component to fall treats, and if you stop by Park Hill Orchard in Easthampton, MA, you can find some of the crispest variety for all your crisp and pie needs. They also have plenty of other fruits seasonally, and don’t forget to try the original Cider Slushie!

Those are just some of the highlights Western Mass has to offer for its most prideful season. Personally, I wouldn’t have wanted to grow up anywhere else. This season out here holds a special place in my heart and I get filled with nostalgia just thinking about it. Go out and enjoy it while you can, because soon the leaves will be gone for the year, and you don’t want to miss them!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Olivia Vadnais

U Mass Amherst '25

Hi everyone, my name is Olivia and I am a freshman at the University of Massachusetts – Amherst. I am very excited to join HerCampus this fall! I love reading, Taylor Swift, sports (especially basketball) and hanging out with friends and family. I am a management major and hope to end up double majoring in journalism as well.