A Letter to My Grandmother, the Most Inspirational Woman I Know

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Mema,

Ambler Way was a magical place, a house full of childhood memories with the people I loved most. There was nothing I loved more than an entire week at your house over the summer as a child, endless days by the pool laughing and chatting. You would always ask me about school and friends and would get so invested in what was happening in my life. To this day, that hasn’t changed. Despite what you have going on, you always make time for my sister and I to talk our heads off about anything and everything. 

You inspire me every day with your positivity and courage, staying humble and gracious through the hardest of times. I admire how confident you are in your values, and I have endless respect for your devotion to putting others first in any situation. The word “no” has never been in your vocabulary, and you constantly look for ways to put a smile on everyone’s face. I’ll never forget the time you stayed up with me for hours into the night the first time I was away from mom and dad, singing me songs and reading books, reminding me that all would be okay and that I was safe. Although this seems minor now, it meant a lot to me and gave me my first bit of self-confidence.

As much as I miss the times we shared when I was younger, I truly enjoy the times we share now. Whether it’s raving about Friends, talking politics, baking your famous chocolate pumpkin bread, or FaceTiming, there is never a dull moment!

Thank you for heating up my towel in the dryer so it was warm after night swimming. Thank you for letting me eat pasta for breakfast. Thank you for taking me to Fuddruckers and Medieval Times. Thank you for writing me letters every day when I was away from home at camp. Thank you for knitting my blankets, sweaters, and hats. Thank you for keeping my secret when I ate the tops off of the chocolate chips cookies at Thanksgiving. Thank you for coming to my ballet performances and soccer games. Thank you for sharing your recipes and wisdom with me. Most of all, thank you for the endless love and support. To the most stylish 83 year old I know, I love you!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Haley LaKind

U Mass Amherst '23

Haley LaKind is a junior Communication and Journalism double major on the Public Relations Track. She enjoys writing biweekly articles for Her Campus as well as running the chapter instagram page @hcumassamherst. Her hobbies include exercise, travel, journaling, and spending time with friends and family. At UMass she is also involved with UMass CHAARG and the Public Relations Club.