This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Rules are what set humans apart from animals. Rules keep society running smoothly: they are the one thing that save us from total anarchy. This is why calling “dibs” is so important. Without dibs, it would be chaos amongst friends.

And while dibs can be called for a vast array of things, here are nine of the most important times when calling dibs is absolutely essential.

1. The last slice of pizza/the last of ANY food: food is very important.

2. Shotgun: Everybody wants to ride shotgun – call it first or risk spending the trip sitting b*tch-seat.

3. Window on a bus/plane: If you’ve ever gone on a trip with any group, friends or family, you are well aware of the fact that actual seat numbers rarely matter. No one wants to get stuck in the aisle seat, or worse, the middle seat.

4. Middle seat at the movie theater: Admit it Collegiettes™, we all do it. Nobody wants to sit next to a rando. There’s that feeling when they sit down next to you…

5. Clothes: This is situational, but very important to establish when shopping with friends. If you’re both really nice people, you will both insist that the other should buy it. But if you’re like the majority of people out there, make sure you call dibs the second you lay eyes on a showstopper.

6. Being next on the table for beer pong: You have to fight for your right to totally dominate at pong. People get really possessive about their spot on table, so claim your team as next ASAP.

7. Workout equipment: If you go the gym with your friends, understand that if it is busy, you might have to fight for what you want. Your health is arguably your most important possession – call dibs at the gym!

8. Sleeping Arrangements: Whether you’re sleeping at a hotel or crashing at a friend’s, calling where you sleep is essential to getting a good night’s rest. Call the double bed, the futon, the only room in the house with carpeted floors. And don’t forget to call dibs on your sleeping partner, if the situation demands it. She may be your best friend, but it sucks getting stuck sharing a bed with the girl who hogs the covers all night. Or snores. Or kicks.

9. Guys: Possibly the original “Calling Dibs.” You have to honor your friend’s dibs, because it can’t be a total free for all out there. Obviously, if this guy is clearly into someone else, dibs is null and void. But let’s use our common sense and respect our friend’s crushes and feelings.

Dibs is important in keeping sanity amongst friends – and getting what you want. Call it wisely!

Mia Brugnoli-Ensin

U Mass Amherst

I'm Mia and I'm a student studying communications and psychology at UMass Amherst.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst