This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

1. Dead Poet’s Society (1989)

Back to school movies always get me excited for fall and this movie is perfect for when you want to go on a rollercoaster of emotions. It’s about a group of students who are taught by their new teacher how to swim against the stream and to seize the day.

2. Remember the Titans (2000)

Football is a huge aspect of the fall season and this movie does not disappoint. The players try to put their differences aside in order to come together as a team. Its the perfect movie to warm your heart on those chilly fall afternoons.

3. You’ve Got Mail (1998)

This love story starts in Manhattan, New York while the leaves began to change. The two met anonymously online and began to fall in love. Meanwhile, in real life, they can’t stand each other.

4. Good Will Hunting (1997)

Boston in fall is absolutely beautiful and this is exactly where this movie takes place. Good Will Hunting is another back-to-school movie about a young man looking to find himself. It’s definitely worth the watch and the beautiful Boston foliage will put you in that fall mood.

5. The Blind Side (2009)

Another movie about the football season. This is a movie about a homeless teenager who is taken in by a woman and her family who is willing to do anything to help him succeed academically and in football. This heartwarming story is perfect for a cozy fall afternoon.

6.  Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (2001)

This is the perfect movie to sit and watch on a fall day, it’s full of nostalgia for many. The magic that this film puts in everyone who watches it is timeless. It’s also perfect for a movie marathon that lasts all weekend.

7. Matilda (1996)

Matilda is another back-to-school classic about a gifted child who finally is able to go to school. This movie never fails to put me in that fall feeling.

8. When Harry Met Sally (1989)

This is another romance that takes place in New York’s fall. This classic story of friends becoming more is just the right movie to get you in that autumn mood.

9. Hocus Pocus (1993)

Now this list would not be complete without Hocus Pocus. Set in Salem, Massachusetts, this movie about the resurrection of three dead witches is one that never gets old. It is definitely a movie you need to watch every fall season.  

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst