alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
alexey lin j 0pjgxE1kc unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp
Style > Beauty

The 9 Best Beauty Products Every Collegiette Needs

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

As a Collegiette, amidst busy class schedules and extra curriculars, it’s really easy to lose sight of the importance of taking care of your body. Especially when exam week rolls around, the gym becomes less of a priority and sleep becomes more of one. While it can be difficult to get exercise regularly as the semester progresses, it is still as important as ever to take care of your body in other ways–your skin, your hair, your face, and the like. Here are some products I simply could not survive without. 

1. Neutrogena Makeup Remover Cleansing Towelettes

It took me far too long in my college career to realize how absolutely imperative it is to take off your makeup every night. For me, I found sleeping in my face and eye makeup made getting ready the next morning so much easier, but trust me, it is absolutely worth the extra 2 minutes to clean your skin at the end of the day! Sure, taking the time to wash your face may seem inconvenient, but with these wipes there is literally no excuse for not taking off your makeup at night. I noticed after using these towelettes nightly, that my skin was way less prone to breakouts and was so much softer when I woke up.

2. Batiste Hint of Color Dry Shampoo (Dark and Deep Brown)

This is the best kept secret that all brunettes need to know about. It was only recently that I found out it’s actually really bad to wash your hair every day (or even every other day for that matter)! I’ve always been a little skeptical about it, but this UK brand has perfected a dry shampoo for brunettes that will not leave your hair looking like you just rubbed baby powder in it. Batiste makes a bunch of different shades for a variety of different hair colors, so even if you’re dirty blonde you won’t have white powder sitting in your part all day. It takes two seconds to take your hair from greasy to just washed! Not to mention, this product is also great if you’re applying a lot of heat to your hair daily and don’t want to damage your hair as frequently.

3. Benefit Cosmetics Erase Paste Brightening Concealer

While this one’s on the pricier side, I have to say you absolutely get your money’s worth with this concealer. Some of my friends have been using the same container for almost two years now and it has yet to run out! This is actually a miracle product and covers up all blemishes and dark circles. I was hesitant about buying this product, though recommended to me for a while, because of its steep price for such a small container. However, I can say with complete confidence that this concealer is the best quality concealer I’ve ever used, and a little really does go a long way! It’s amazing what a little under-eye concealer can do after an all-nighter…

4. It’s A 10 Miracle Leave-In Product

Okay–I’ll be honest–I don’t even know how to articulate what this does to your hair, but it’s amazing. This ‘miracle’ leave-in product is initially a detangler with an amazing scent that you apply directly to your wet hair. Apparently, some brilliant hair fairies come and repair basically everything about your hair while this product sets in. It’s not greasy, it doesn’t leave residue, it just works. Allegedly, there are ten qualities written on the back of the bottle that make ‘It a 10,’ but I find more than anything is just leaves my hair super soft and repairs all split ends. While this miracle product is definitely on the pricier side, it’s 100% worth it. (Tip: I’ve found my bottles cheapest either by ordering them online or getting them at Target.)

5. Garnier Fructis Rescue Refreshing Gel-Cream

This refreshing gel cream is hands down the best moisturizer I’ve ever used. Shown to me while studying abroad, this incredibly lightweight moisturizer doesn’t leave your skin shiny or oily. It honestly doubles as a hangover remedy too as this ultra-cooling gel is the most satisfying feeling after a rough night out. I put this on every night before bed and my skin has begun to look considerably brighter and softer since I began using this product. I can’t recommend this enough and enjoy it much more than some brand-name lotions I’ve used in the past (with a much larger price tag).

6. Urban Decay Naked2 Eyeshadow Palette

I never quite understood what the hype was about Naked palettes until I splurged and bought one for myself. My palette, which I’ve had for over two years now, is one of the most used items in my makeup bag. There are a few different versions of the Naked palette now, but from what I’ve seen, the second is still my favorite. The eyeshadows in this palette are incredibly pigmented and very long lasting (I know very little about makeup, but my makeup-savvy friend says that’s a good thing). Not only does this palette have the perfect combo for a brown-toned smokey eye, but also has many shades you can wear daily, colors you can use to fill in your eyebrows with (2 for one!), and even comes in handy for Halloween costumes that require a metallic dusting.

7. Jergens Natural Glow Daily Moisturizer

While I don’t use this as a ‘daily’ moisturizer, I have to say that, as Collegiette who was warned against tanning beds for her whole life, this fast-acting moisturizer gives the perfect glow for any event. Especially in the winter months, avoid having a pale face by applying this moisturizer after the shower for a few days before any holiday, formal event, date, or just an ordinary weekend. This isn’t really a best kept secret since it’s so widely used, but I have found this lotion useful in many situations–and one container tends to last a while!

8. L’Oreal Studio Secrets Magic Skin Beautifier B.B. Cream

You’ll never use a heavy, pore-clogging foundation again once you pick up this incredible B.B. Cream. While I used to be skeptical of the B.B. and C.C. ‘trend,’ I’ve found this B.B. Cream to be the best thing for my skin on a daily basis. This cream comes out a gray-ish blue color, and quite literally transforms to the color of your skin before your eyes! It’s the perfect lightweight liquid makeup that has completely replaced my liquid foundation regimen. The way I see it, this product turns your skin to all the same shade–it’s basically like putting a fresh layer of skin on that’s all one color, and really is magical!

9. Burt’s Bees Lemon Butter Cuticle Cream

This may be an anxious habit unique to me, but I’ve graduated from biting my nails and am now an avid cuticle picker. Having hangnails is awful, but picking them under high levels of stress is even worse! This cuticle cream is the ultimate healing solution for any red and damaged cuticles. I had been looking for a remedy for so long, and when I discovered this product by the beloved Burt’s Bees I felt so relieved. All you do is apply this ‘butter’ to your cuticles before bed, and when you wake up it’s easy to see how efficiently they’ve been healed. This stuff lasts forever as you only need a little bit, and it absolutely saves my fingers especially during the cold, dry winter.

And there you have it: the nine beauty products I absolutely swear by. I hope you take these recommendations and are able to see the positive results and satisfaction I have.

Photos: Thumbnail, 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst