8 Movies to Watch on Netflix Over Spring Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Are you having a staycation this year? Planning on vegging out on the couch in a pair of sweatpants while eating whatever you can scrounge from the kitchen?

I know you’re planning on watching every episode of House of Cards, Orange is the New Black, and finally seeing the end of Breaking Bad, but if you want to switch it up every six hours or so, here are some of the movies you can watch. All available for streaming on Netflix.

1. Documentary:

America The Beautiful

This is an amazing documentary that focuses on the effects of the fashion industry, the media, and business on body image. It follows a thirteen-year-old model as she navigates the harsh world of runway fashion, it exposes the mental manipulation that goes into selling beauty products, and interviews men and women about their personal experiences with their body image. This really makes you think about how you feel about your body and why you feel the way you do.

2. 80’s Classic:

The Breakfast Club

If you haven’t seen this, you should. It is the quintessential brat-pack film that launched the careers of Molly Ringwald, Emilio Estivez, and Anthony Michael Hall. It follows five students spending a Saturday in detention and the bonding experience they have despite all being in different cliques.

3. Comedy:

Hot Rod

This 2007 movie starring Andy Samberg is absolutely hilarious. It follows wannabe daredevil Rod Kimble (Samberg) as he attempts to raise money to save his stepfather’s life. There are a few members of The Lonely Island crew and Samberg’s fellow SNL alum Bill Hader plays Rod’s best friend. The movie toes the line between dumb humor and quick wit incredibly successfully, making for a laugh-so-hard-you-get-an-ab-workout movie.

4. Indie Flick:

Safety Not Guaranteed

This adorable movie follows Mark Duplass as a man who put an ad in the newspaper for a partner to assist in his time travel experiment. Aubrey Plaza plays a newspaper intern who responds to the ad pretending to be interested, but really planning on writing a story about it. They develop a really cute relationship and some interesting mysteries ensue. Jake Johnson (Nick from New Girl) and Kara Soni have secondary roles as Plaza’s coworkers.

5. Childhood Favorite:

Pocahontas

Not only does this fit your need for a Disney fix, but it was ahead of its time with messages of female power, racial equality, and being environmentally conscious. Also, now that you’ve taken Philosophy 101, you know that it was actually Heraclitus who said “You can’t step in the same river twice” (in so many words).

6. Classic:

Roman Holiday

Audrey Hepburn and Gregory Peck star in this romance about a princess and a news reporter who are both lying to one another but fall in love during a day of adventure in Rome. It was Hepburn’s breakout role and earned her the Oscar for Best Actress in a Leading Role. It was filmed entirely in Italy and is an absolutely dreamy production.

7. Romantic Comedy:

13 Going on 30

This hilarious and heartwarming rom-com stars Jennifer Garner and Mark Ruffalo. Garner plays Jenna Rink, a thirteen year old who magically skips to being thirty years old and living in New York City after making a wish on her thirteenth birthday. When Jenna awakes and has to deal with the fact that her thirty-year-old self is not as great of a person as she hoped. It is hilarious to see her make a fool of herself (Michael Jackson “Thriller” dances and heart-to-heart sleepovers included) since she still has the mind of a thirteen-year-old and has no memory of her years between thirteen and thirty.

8. 90’s Nostalgia:

She’s All That

Who doesn’t love a classic geek to chic movie, especially when it stars Freddie Prince Jr. and Rachael Leigh Cook. Plus there’s a hilarious minor character play by none other than Usher. There’s nothing like a great teen flick to teach you that all you need to do to be suddenly attractive is take off your glasses and overalls and slap on a red dress… right?

What are you planning on watching over spring break, Collegiettes?

Photo Sources: 12345678.

Hi, I'm Kelsey! I'm a junior marketing and English major. I love fashion, and hope to work in the industry after I graduate. My hobbies include blogging, reading, and watching near-unhealthy amounts of YouTube beauty and fashion videos.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst