8 Great Places to Study At and Around UMass

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Although we all hate to admit it, the end of the semester is quickly approaching—which can only mean one thing: endless hours hitting the books. In such a great college town, at least your time spent studying and typing away at your computer doesn’t have to be trapped in a mundane fluorescently lit library! The area around Amherst and other great places on campus offer awesome environments to make your studying perhaps a little less miserable. Here are some ideas to help you think outside of the box to get an optimal study environment—whether you need a coffee break or a peek at some artwork along the way!

1. The Isenberg Atrium

A great spot on campus close enough to the dorms with also quick access to the library, the atrium in the Isenberg School of Management is an awesome place to park yourself upon preparing for hours of studying. The area has many tables and comfortable sitting areas, so spread yourself out and hit the books!

2. The Integrated Science Building (ISB)

The recently renovated ISB is a great place to settle down for a cozy Sunday evening of studying. This is an awesome spot that is sure to meet your study environment needs—not to mention there is a Starbucks right there, too!

3. W.E.B. Dubois Library

If you are feeling like the library is the spot to be for finals, check out some of the amazing resources Dubois has to offer. The Learning Commons on the lower level has a surplus of study rooms, access to computers, and printers available for anyone. For group work, check out the 5th and 9th floor for large tables for collaborative work. The 5th floor has bathrooms on it, too, and the 9th floor is just below the Learning Resource Center (10th floor) for quick study questions and also conveniently has bathrooms and a water fountain as well. If you’re feeling like you just need to bang out some work, perhaps head up the silent 17th floor where cubicles line the perimeter and you can hear a pin drop.

4. Studio Arts Building

This little known gem is a perfect spot for a nice quiet study sesh. Its lofty ceilings and large windows create an optimal study environment any collegiate would love. If you’re feeling antsy mid-chapter, too, you can always walk around and glance at some fine artwork to get those creative sparks stimulated.

5. Rao’s/Starbucks/Amherst Coffee

The beauty of living in a college town is the amazing coffee shops on every corner! Check out Rao’s for some organic eats and a nice environment for studying. Starbucks just a few stores down is also a classic finals study spot—or even head over to Amherst Coffee around the corner on Amity for another spot to hit the books.

6. Robert Frost Library at Amherst College

A great, quiet, spot that makes you feel more intelligent than ever, the Amherst College library is another great place in Amherst to spend studying. The set up and furniture around is beautiful, and with so many intellectual people around you you’re bound to feel a burst of intelligence.

7. Roots – CHC Café

The brand new Roots Café conveniently located in the Commonwealth Honors College residence area has a perfect study room and plenty of chairs and tables for study groups. The food offered at Roots is delicious, and the café accepts YCMPs so you don’t need to break your bank! Pick up a personalized pizza or some sesame noodles while you’re there—or even the nutella/cream cheese/banana favorite!

8. The Student Union

The Student Union is also a great spot to study—there are tons of tables on the second floor and large comfy chairs as well. It doesn’t hurt that there are a number of places to grab food just a few floors below—we all know proper fuel is integral to making the most of your time studying.

Hopefully these places nearby offer the study environments you need to ace those exams; good luck and happy studying!

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst