7 Very Odd Decisions Made at UMass Amherst

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

No one knows UMass better than its own students and faculty. We know all of its best and worst aspects, along with its downright odd characteristics. I mean the ones that will make you ask yourself, “who decided that this was a good idea?” Well, here is a list of some of those very questionable decisions that have been made.

1. Morrill

One of the most obvious is the maze that is Morrill. Why did they number the buildings out of order? I’m not sure. Why did they make it even more complex by adding in south and north? Still not sure of that one either..

2. Building Placement

Another obvious one is the construction of the buildings that create wind tunnels around campus. Why construct wind tunnels in a place that is constantly filled with people walking around? Good question.

3. Female Urinals

Now, maybe it is just me, but is anyone else thrown off by the female urinals in some of the women’s bathroom stalls? Maybe I’m just being judgmental and too closed minded, but I have yet to witness anyone come out of a stall that has one of those, so they seem like a waste of space to me.

4. Parking lots 

Why do they make the biggest parking lots the farthest away from the academic buildings? Why do they also seem to keep making them all smaller?

5. Making the Morrill café smaller

Back to Morrill, why did they make the study space near the Morrill café smaller? Seriously, it was probably the best part about Morrill and they made it SMALLER. So now they expect all of the biology majors to fit and study into that small space? Honestly, that plan was just illogical.

6. Hamp Burritos

For the very few of us that still remember the old Hamp, remember the burritos? Now I understand renovating Hamp and making it new and improved. What I don’t understand is why they got rid of the burritos?

7. The sinks in ILC 

The ILC is a beautiful, new building. I also understand that we are trying to be environmentally friendly. However, the sinks are quite annoying. Seriously, I need to use about every sink in the whole bathroom to wash the soap off of my hands because each sink only works for about five seconds. 

There are definitely some questionable decisions that have been made around the UMass Amherst campus. But, I guess we can just say it gives it some character. 

Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst