This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Beyoncé. She does not need much of an introduction. Her career is one many of us are familiar with considering she has been in the game for over twenty years. She began in Destiny’s Child in the early 90s and in the early 2000s she ventured into her enormously successful solo career. Although she is a household name, Beyonce’s discography is so large that too many songs get lost behind the infamous hits. This article will bring to your attention some tracks that you might not know yet but definitely need to!

“Mine” (feat. Drake)

“Mine” is featured on her self-titled album, Beyoncé. The track starts off slow and feels very confessional about marriage and relationship issues as Beyoncé speaks directly to her spouse. Drake’s verse and vocals blend seamlessly into this song. The dance breakdown Beyoncé and her dancers do to this song at live shows is undoubtedly one of her best…and she has a lot of dance breakdowns.

“I miss you”

“I Miss You” is on Beyoncé’s fourth studio album, 4. This album was not received well by critics compared to her other albums. However, it is actually full of fun, vibrant tracks and emotional ballads that create a very cohesive piece. “I Miss You” is probably the saddest song on the album as she tries to express her longing for someone. Frank Ocean is credited as a writer on this song along with Beyoncé and Shea Taylor. In the intro of the song, you can hear a faint male voice talking and the voice is Frank Ocean. There are live performances of Frank singing the song and the song certainly suits his voice well!

“Freakum dress”

“Freakum Dress” is off of Beyoncé’s second studio album, B’day. This track is hip-hop and funk infused. It is the perfect song to play with your friends while you get ready for a girl’s night out. It is all about hyping your girls up and looking your best while having fun!

“water”

“Water” is a collaboration between singers Salatiel, Pharrell Williams, and Beyoncé. It is included in The Lion King: The Gift, the collaborative soundtrack Beyoncé made for the live-action remake of The Lion King, in which she starred as the voice of Nala. Similar to the rest of the album, “Water” uses African beats and influences to craft the perfect dance song. It is a good mood song and will get you up on your feet!

“Nile”

This is a personal favorite. Kendrick Lamar joins Beyoncé on this too short of a track from The Gift soundtrack album. This song begins very slow until an eventual beat drop that never fails to give me chills. The two have collaborated before on the song “Freedom” from Beyoncé’s Lemonade. It is fair to say that these two can do no wrong together. “NILE” is a fun play on words as they refer to the Nile River while sounding like they are saying “in denial.” This is a track you definitely do not want to skip.

“grown woman”

Featured on the deluxe version of her self-titled album, “Grown Woman” is Beyoncé’s proclamation of being a mature adult. The track begins with an audio clip from an adorable video of Beyoncé performing at home. She emphasizes the fact that she is still the ambitious girl she was when she was younger except now she is grown. The song is perfect to blast at full volume and sing to whenever you are feeling proud of how far you have come.

“all night”

“All Night” is without a doubt one of Beyoncé’s best slower songs. However, this is not your average slower love song. Beyoncé ends the story of her groundbreaking album Lemonade with this passionate song. She expresses her dedication and commitment to loving someone who has hurt her and how they can heal and grow together. The horns in this song make it feel epic and grand while also sincere. Beyoncé’s one-of-a-kind angelic vocals also help drive home the feeling of comfort and love in “All Night.” If you can find any clips or videos online of her performing this song live at a Tidal event please watch it! It is arguably one of her best vocal performances!

You can never go wrong with a few more Beyoncé songs in your life. If you are looking to listen to her or just get some new music revolving in your playlist, these seven songs are a great start!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Kaitlyn Soper

U Mass Amherst '25

Kaitlyn is a sophomore at UMass Amherst. Her major is political science. She loves music, film, and dance.