This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re anything like me, you spend a decent amount of time on Netflix either procrastinating or binging a new TV show. Over the years, I’ve watched a good amount of movies and I realized a lot of the great ones are not talked about enough. I compiled a list of some of my favorite movies I’ve seen on Netflix that are underrated. Check some of them out!

1. Room

This movie is definitely one for the books. It’s a dramatic and puts you on the edge of your seat. Based on the novel by Emma Donoghue, Room is about a woman (played by Brie Larson) held captive in a single room by a man. She ends up pregnant and raises a boy by herself in this impossibly small space. Eventually, the mother gains enough courage to plan an escape. What follows next is her experience of anxiety, pain, and hope to obtain a better life for her and her son.

2. The Theory of Everything

Stephen Hawking is one of the most inspiring people to get the chance to learn about. Watching this biography will make you laugh and cry while you learn about Hawking’s experiences through childhood, attending Cambridge University, marriage and more. When I finished this movie, I was so intrigued that I went and learned more about him on my own. Although this movie premiered in theaters, I definitely don’t think it should be forgotten or overlooked. From the acting to the soundtrack, everything about this movie shines inspiration. 

3. 6 Years

I’ve watched this movie twice now, and both times it leaves me filled with many different opinions. This film is based on two teenagers who have been dating since they were in eighth grade. Six years later, they start having relationship issues and question whether or not they should be together. This movie makes the audience think on their own about the issue in this movie. It creates moments of awkwardness, silence, and tension. It makes the audience fall in love with the relationship, but fall right out of love at the same time, which is why I love it so much. 

4. Short Term 12

This is probably my favorite movie on this list. This movie shines a light on the foster care system and how it affects the children involved. Again, with Brie Larson playing the main character. However, the movie’s point of view is from a caretaker at the foster care and how she balances this difficult job. Ages ranging from babies to teenagers, Larson is able to portray a strong female role who can connect with any kid no matter their story. 

5. Miss Representation

Are you a feminist? Delving into the misconceptions of women in media and misrepresentations of the way women are depicted, this movie demonstrates the importance of feminism in a new way. With actual footage of sexism and misogyny, this movie sheds light into the unfair treatment of women in media. It makes the audience uncomfortable and installs a strong sense of urgency, mainly because it can be hard to realize when sexism is happening online or on TV, and this movie makes it clear.

6. Hush

Wanna get in the scary Halloween spirit? Watch this movie. This is one of the best thriller movies I’ve seen. It’s focusing on a deaf female protagonist. She lives alone in the woods, and one night is stalked by an intruder. She demonstrates a strong female role and mental strength. Having the disadvantage of being deaf, she definitely has the audience captivated by her strength for the entire movie. Another awesome feminist film.

7. Gaga: Five Foot Two:

Adding some spunk into this list is Lady Gaga’s documentary, which was one of the most personable movies I’ve ever seen. Being a celebrity has tons of advantages and benefits, but it also comes with weaknesses. Dealing with a painful disease, Gaga shows her persistence to provide music to pop culture and be a role model for her fans. It takes you behind the scenes of her concerts, music writing, and personal life. It makes you realize celebrities are regular people too, with struggles everyone has. I definitely recommend this movie for anyone, no matter their music taste.

Image Sources: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8

Elizabeth Mooney

U Mass Amherst '22

As a senior at UMass Amherst, Elizabeth Mooney is studying Community Education and Social Change and is so excited to be writing for HerCampus for her third year! She writes articles on lifestyle, relationships, and college life so check them out! Feel free to follow her Instagram: @lizmooney02
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst