7 Inexpensive Makeup Options Found at the Drugstore

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Makeup is a part of many Collegiettes daily routines, so why should our wallets suffer when we buy it? Stores like Ulta and Sephora can leave us feeling broke, but now there’s a way to get great make up and save money. So consider a few alternatives to the makeup you already use or makeup you should try.

1. Mascara

L’Oreal Voluminous Mascara can look just like the expensive designer brand mascara whether you decide to coat your lashes in one layer or many. It gives you the perfect amount of length, thickness and most importantly volume! Don’t forget: it’s recommended that mascara is replaced every 3 months. It comes in Blackest Black, Black and Black Brown. You need to give it a try especially since it has an amazing price around $7.50.

2. Foundation

Revlon Nearly Naked Makeup SPF 20 comes in 16 different shades for a range of skin tones. It’s light and goes on easily while still looking natural which is always important in something that is going to be on your face all day. It also has SPF in it so you don’t have to worry about sun damage. The price for this great product that has been compared to Urban Decay’s Naked foundation is about $10.

3. Concealer

Physicians Formula Super CC+ Concealer covers up those dark circles after a Collegiette is up late studying or partying. This concealer evens skin tone and reduces redness all while being Dermatologist tested and hypoallergenic. It also has SPF 30 which is only a plus in preventing skin damage. This all comes with a price tag of $12.95.

4. Liquid Eye Liner

L’Oreal Infallible The Super Slim Liquid Eyeliner is definitely competition for designer liquid eyeliners since it’s easy to apply with it’s precise felt tip. It glides on perfectly for that natural look or cat eye. It’s easy to get used to and a great product to try if you’ve never tried liquid before. For about $9 – it’s a steal!

5. Pencil Eye Liner

CoverGirl Liquiline Blast Eyeliner comes in 6 different colors and is basically a liquid eyeliner in the familiar form of a pencil. It goes on easily and stays on for hours. It also has a smudge tip at the other end to determine what kind of look a Collegiette is going for. Also you may be used to the traditional colors, but adding a little bit of color will get you plenty of compliments on those gorgeous eyes. Now go and get this product for about $8. 

6. Gel Eye Liner

L’Oreal Infallible Gel Lacquer Liner 24 Hour comes in Blackest Black, Navy, Espresso, Slate and Bronze – 5 different colors. The eye liner comes with a smooth gliding brush which works great for creating the perfect eye and stays put all day. It’s amazingly priced at $10 and includes everything that you’ll need.

7. Brushes

EcoTools Brushes are affordably priced and great for the environment. Now us Collegiettes can feel good while saving. They are made out of recycled materials and are easy to use. Just don’t forget to clean them. They range from $4 to $13 depending on the brush and can come in different sets.

Nina Kalita

U Mass Amherst

Sophomore at University of Massachusetts Amherst and new member of Her Campus Umass Amherst Chapter. I look forward to my involvement. I'm a marketing major in the Isenberg School of Management who is trying to defy the blonde and blue eyed stereotype. I'm excited for all that is to come in my life and the rest of college.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst