This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Now that fall is here, it’s time to change up your wardrobe. The key? Layers. Dressing for a day full of classes can be tough. Layering is the only way to survive the fluctuating climate in Amherst. Here are some key pieces you should add to your fall wardrobe:

1. Dark Skinny Jeans

There is nothing more important than a dark pair of jeans (also even better when they’re jeggings). They go with anything and everything. From going to class to going out, they will be your most worn item in your closet. Dark skinnies are very slimming and can be dressed up or down easily. 

2. Cowl Neck Sweater

A cowl neck sweater is definitely a must-have. Pair it with leggings or jeans and you have a cute and comfortable outfit. This will definitely keep you warm when walking across campus. The neck functions like a built-in scarf. Not only is it cute, but very practical!

3. Black Leggings

Very basic, but a necessity. Try to find a pair that doesn’t stretch much and stay up when moving around. We all know how it is when midterms and finals come around you wear nothing but leggings. It is worth it to invest in a nice pair that keeps you toasty!

4. A Neutral Jacket or Parka

These jackets are so versatile: cute, comfy, and warm. Utility jackets are a great fall transition piece. They are perfect for those days where the temperature changes drastically. Throw on a utility jacket over leggings and a t- shirt and your whole outfit is pulled together; casual, but fashionable. 

5. Heeled Boots

Booties are the perfect fall accessory. With jeans, leggings, or even dresses, heeled booties will dress up any outfit. The heel is short enough to be comfortable walking across campus all day, but you will look chic and put together! Go for a neutral pair that will match with everything in you closet, and have fun strutting around UMass. 

6. A Vest

We all know that a vest is a fall essential. They are great for the transitional weather, and provide the right amount of warmth. This year try a navy or olive vest, which are neutrals that will bring a bit of color to your wardrobe.

7. Boyfriend Cardigan

A boyfriend cardigan is great for those cool days on campus. They are the perfect length to wear with leggings, cozy, cute, and casual. Every girl needs one in her closet. A cream cardigan will match everything and perfectly compliment UMass maroon

And, don’t forget coloring! According to Pantone (the color experts of fashion), the fall colors are below. Always adding a pop of color to neutral outfit.

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9

Caroline Richard

U Mass Amherst

I am a current Junior at the University of Massachusetts Amherst and I am studying Psychology and Communications.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst