This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Gluttony

Let’s face it. We all have a love-hate relationship with food – especially us ladies! One second you’re scarfing down pounds of chocolate in one sitting, and then the next second you’re cursing it for adding a few extra pounds in some ‘problem’ areas. As kids, all we want to eat is junk food and know we’ll run it off outside, and we often don’t appreciate mom’s cooking. In college, we’re lucky if we find the time or energy to go to the gym for thirty minutes, and we’re never more grateful for that home-cooked turkey dinner when we go home for Thanksgiving break.

Greed

We all like free stuff. In college, you never get more of it. In my freshman year alone, I have received maybe five or six free T-shirts, and countless other objects from clubs and seminars that I’ve attended. Anything from pens to stress balls to those fold-up frisbee discs, they’ll dole it out at these events. I’m not ashamed to tell you the only reason I went to most of my dorm or residential area events was for the free food, namely pizza or wings! Name it and you can probably get it! I’ll take what I can get as a poor college student, I feel a sense of entitlement to this free stuff. Oh yeah, let’s not forget about all those FREE condoms we snag too.

Lust

Tinder, need I say more? This famous app has been going through waves of popularity for quite some time. Although it’s supposedly a dating app, Tinder quickly actually became used as a means to hook up.  I’ve spent many a bus ride or boring class looking through all these people around my age and area passing righteous judgment on their looks. Swipe right for yes, and left for no. If you’re a match, let the chemistry begin! (;

Sloth

It’s Sunday night. You’re exhausted after a crazy weekend out partying with your friends. All you can think about is how you now have to finish your homework, yet want to relax. The looming thought of class tomorrow hangs over your head; also begging the question – do I go to classes, it’s Monday?! The dreaded Monday morning arrives, and you’re forced to wake up at the ungodly hour of seven for your A.M. class. Do you get up and start your day? Your bed is so comfy, the struggle is real. You decide to go back to sleep, missing all your classes, and try again tomorrow.

Envy

You’re at a party with your best girlfriends, dressed to impress, and ready to make some memories (if you remember the night). The music’s blaring, playing your favorite song. You see a cute guy across the room, and you’re more than ready to make your first move. As you stroll over, making strong eye contact, another girl approaches him smiling flirtatiously. You give this girl the stink eye, warning her that you saw this guy first. She doesn’t back off, and proceeds to start dancing with the guy. The guy breaks his eye contact with you, now focusing on this new girl. Pissed off, you walk back over to your girlfriend, fuming about how that girl is such a ****. “Is she prettier than me?” “What’s she got that I don’t have?” the jealous thoughts roll through your mind… Oh, college parties. 

Pride

We all have to have a sense of pride to have made into college. You’re proud of your accomplishments – especially since you’re now enrolled in a university! Some of us are proud of our grades – you got that 5/10 on that physics quiz, when 90% of the class got a 0/10! Awesome! Some of you are proud of your looks – you got all the attention at the party last night and all the likes on that new profile picture! Some of us are just proud of getting out of bed for classes during the week! Whatever you find yourself proud of, we all feel it.

Wrath

You have a midterm paper. It has to be ten pages single-spaced. Instead of procrastinating, you actually work on it for weeks. You go to the Writing Center and have them look it over, and even ask your friends to edit it for a second opinion. At the end of it, you feel proud of your essay, fully confident you will get an A for all your efforts on the assignment. 40% of your grade for this class is riding on this paper you are sure you did your best on, and then you turn it in. A week later, you get your grades back – you received a C+. The kid that you talk to in this class, got an A-, claiming to have only worked on it for two days. The rage you feel makes something inside you snap. You now proclaim to hate this professor and his grading bias. For revenge, you write a horrible review on RateMyProfessor.

Kudos to my roommate, Amy Viniciguerra, for her Tumblr prowess and helping me find the best GIFs for this article as well. :) 

Katelyn Richards

U Mass Amherst

Hey, I'm Kate! I'm from the Boston area! I'm studying Biochemistry and Molecular Biology here at UMASS. I love writing, so you'll see quite an array of articles. :)
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst