This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Many of us that have grown up watching YouTube have come to realize the sad reality that is upon us. TikTok has taken the entertainment crown and left YouTube in the dust. I can’t say that YouTube is completely dead, as some of my favorite creators still continue to post consistently. Besides this, it’s hard to deny that watching videos longer than a few minutes is hard nowadays. TikTok has slowly shortened my attention span and made me lose the desire to watch the types of videos I’ve enjoyed since my early teen years. With that being said, I still feel the need to give some praise to the creators that shaped my sense of humor, mindset, and style. I will always find these six Youtubers entertaining and impactful, regardless of the ever changing social media climate.

1. Caitlyn Rae

I begin my article by introducing Massachusetts native, Caitlyn Rae. I started watching Caitlyn Rae in 2018, which many would consider YouTube’s peak year. Her “drive with me” videos and vlogs really pulled me in and kept me interested. It was different and inspiring to see a Massachusetts based vlogger, as most of the influencers I was used to watching were based in Los Angeles or in NYC. I resonate with Caitlyn’s love of music. Before the pandemic hit she attended an uncountable amount of concerts. Her vlogs at these events were always super charged and full of energy. At the beginning of 2019 Caitlyn moved to Hawaii on a whim. It was an exciting change of scenery as a viewer, and also spurred my interest and wishes to travel. Her group of friends in Boston are quite the characters. Their antics and humor reminded me of a lot of my friends in highschool. Caitlyn is a YouTuber I still find myself watching, as her vlogs are easy to watch and always make you feel apart of the adventure. 

rock concert
Photo by Vishnu R Nair from Unsplash

2. Lucy Massam

Lucy Massam is a much smaller creator than the other YouTubers I’ve gravitated toward. I found her account when one of her videos was on my “trending” page a few years ago. She is a lifestyle and vlogging YouTuber from Connecticut. Lucy’s videos are my go-to videos when I want to relax. Her vlogs are aesthetically pleasing while still being real and raw. She’s very open about her struggles with mental illness, specifically depression and anxiety. She preaches the importance of self care, whether that be through meditation, skin care routines, or time away from social media. I especially loved watching her transition to college videos, as it made my highschool self excited for my future. It’s a bonus that she goes to UCSB because I love the west coast college vibes. Lucy’s videos are the perfect way to uplift your mood or feel comforted when you’re feeling extra anxious.

Woman doing yoga meditation on brown parquet flooring
Photo by Jared Rice from Unsplash

3. Sarah Baska 

Sarah Baska has a special place in my heart. She was the first YouTuber that genuinely made me cry laughing. She is the original down to earth, “bruh” girl prototype that I think I’ve subconsciously always wanted to embody. Her internet fame began in the Vine days where she was known as “Kinda Sarah.” I can’t imagine a time when I didn’t know of Sarah Baska’s existence, but I probably watched her for the first time at 14. I vividly remember losing my mind at her “Chad and Jimmy” series with her old friend Ashlynn. It was a hilarious running concept where they would dress up and imitate the skater boys in their life. Sarah turned me on to a new genre of music I hadn’t explored. She made lots of playlist videos with artists like Beach Fossils, Spoon, and the Bad Suns. These were major acts that I had somehow failed to notice before Sarah recommended them. I’ve always loved her hippie-esque style. She continues to stick with her Oregon roots even though she made the move to Los Angeles. If you need a laugh, check her channel out. She made me realize the importance in not taking yourself too seriously. 

4. Emma Chamberlain

The YouTube queen had to make the list or I would be doing something wrong. There has been no greater joy than to see Emma’s popularity and success skyrocket over the years. Emma was a creator that I’ve always had post notifications on for. I would get home from school and excitedly wait for her to upload her newest vlog. From the baking vids to the DIYs to the thrift hauls, Emma has always been one of my favorites. It’s been so cool to watch her grow and expand her platform. She has a podcast that I listen to called “Anything Goes.” She opens up more about her personal life on this podcast. The topics of conversation have all kinds of range. I especially loved her episode, “The Illusion of Money.” In that recording she explains that it took her making lots of money to realize that money isn’t everything. I seriously think she is the most creative, real, and badass woman on YouTube. 

5 & 6. Cody Ko and Noel Miller 

I recognize the individual talent in both of these guys, but I put them as one section of the article because anyone who watches them knows they are the best when they are together. The “That’s Cringe” series opened up a new aspect of my humor I didn’t know existed. My personal favorite video of the duo is, “That’s Cringe: Girl Defined Edition.” They’re the definition of quick-witted, and they mesh so well together. There is something so comical about the reactions they give to the videos they watch. They can make the most serious video hysterical by slowing it down and over analyzing it. If you need a laugh, they are guaranteed to give you one. 

YouTube might not be the hot commodity right now, but I will always have a love for it. I’m glad I got to experience my teenage years when these outstanding creators were in their primes. 

Hannah Stapleton

U Mass Amherst '24

Hannah Stapleton is a freshman hospitality & tourism major at UMass Amherst. When she's not living in Amherst you'll find her adventuring around Cape Cod, which is where she grew up. Hannah is a passionate music lover and very appreciative of the people who are vocal about their current favorite songs.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst