6 Things That Will Inevitably Happen Over Winter Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s face it: when you go home for break, there are just certain things that can’t be avoided. Good or bad, they’re going to happen, and you’re going to have to get yourself through them—no matter how awkward the circumstances. Here are a few things that you can expect to be thrown your way during this holiday season: 

1. Running into an old friend, teacher, aquaintance, or, perhaps the worst, an ex-boyfriend or girlfriend.

Just grin, wave, and walk away quickly. Run, even… I don’t blame you. 

2. Being given a curfew.

Even though you may not live at home for the majority of the year anymore and can avoid your parent’s rules while at school, being home is much, much different. Mom’s going to want you home by midnight sharp—no ifs, ands, or buts… And you better abide by those rules, or else you’re in for a rude reality check. She’s the boss here!

3. Not having anything to do and binge-watching a show on Netflix.

With a whole month off, there are bound to be times when you just run out of things to do. Maybe all of your friends are busy, your parents are working, your sister took the car, and you’re trapped at home in your bed. This truly isn’t that bad: there’s nothing that can’t be solved with a little bit of Netflix watching.

4. Being dragged to a party with a bunch of people from your high school.

They’re going to act like you guys were best friends, say how much they’ve missed you, and there are definitely going to be a lot of pictures taken… Just embrace it! Stick by your close friends, and you can all have fun together while simultaneously avoiding those people you don’t really want to see.

5. Eating way, way, WAY more than you should.

’Tis the season for eating, right? That’s sure how it feels when you come home for break. Christmas cookies, Christmas dinner, mom’s home cooking… How are you supposed to resist? You aren’t! Don’t worry about your diet until New Year’s, that’s when you’ll get everything back on track! (Right? We can hope.

6. Missing your friends from school. 

For many, this will be their first time being separated from new school friends for so long! It may seem silly, given you just met these people a few months or years ago, but they quickly become a huge part of your life. Meet up if you are all close enough, or even just make time to FaceTime. You’ll be back at school in no time, and can start the new semester well-rested and ready to have fun with all of your girls! 

Although being home for Christmas break may seem more stressful than fun at times, it is something that should be embraced! Have fun with your friends from home, spend time with your family, and watch all of those shows you couldn’t during finals. Happy eating and happy holidays! 

Images/GIFs: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7

Class of 2019 journalism major at UMass Amherst! Absolutely love makeup, fashion, and everything in between.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst