6 Reasons to Go to Haiti With YSI on Your Next Break

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Sure, everybody knows that service trips look good on a resume and manifest endless Instagramable opportunities, but in reality they are worth so much more than that, especially with YourStoryInternational (YSI). I may be a little biased, but YSI offers a unique experience when it comes to doing service trips abroad in Haiti. We are not a “voluntourist” group. We have an absolute blast on our trips, but we do a lot more than play with local children. If you want to learn more, check us out at http://www.weareyourstory.org or come to our recruitment meeting, which you can find on Facebook via this link: https://www.facebook.com/events/1686860184902926/ If you decide to join us on one of our next expeditions, here are some of the things you will find…

1.     You will learn to slow down and take the time to explore

You will wake up with the intention of meeting someone for a 10am appointment, and upon arrival you will find that they just left for the marketplace but should be back soon. Rather than being upset, you’ll go for a walk—maybe explore the cane fields, check out a local church, or admire the landscapes. You’ll return, conduct your business with whomever, and find yourself at ease despite the need to adapt. It takes some adjusting at first, but after a few days you will know how to go with the flow, and you will have learned so much about the community just through your mini adventures.

2.     You will definitely gain a new appreciation for the many things you have back home

After taking bucket showers, you will be thankful to have running water again once you return to the states. More importantly, you will have gained a much greater appreciation for the abundance of that water in your home, and you will likely start taking shorter showers. Bucket showers teach you that it only takes a few scoops of water to wash off the dirt of the day, and that we consume more than that amount of water just in the time we spend waiting for our showers to warm up. You will understand how valuable each and every drop is.

3.     You will learn that sometimes communication transcends words

I was sitting on the grass in the front yard, writing in my journal, and I noticed a young boy filled with curiosity watching me quietly. I began to draw a sketch of him, and he noticed, so I invited him to look at it. He wrote his name on the paper, and I ripped it out of my notebook to give to him. About 4 hours later, I saw him in passing, and he tugged gently on my shirt to stop me. He reached into his pocket and pulled out my drawing, which he had folded neatly and been carrying around all day. You do not always need language to build friendship.

4.     You will realize that this earth is even more magnificent than you ever could have imagined

You’ve seen Jurassic Park right? Well, picture the vast fields of tall grass, the palm trees, and the endless mountains from those movies, and realize that is just the beginning of the beauty that Haiti’s landscapes have to offer. If you think Amherst sunsets are great, just you wait until you watch it set over miles of sugar cane, uninterrupted by the lights and the noise of America.

5.     You will hear stories that change your outlook on life

Everybody in America knows that there was a huge earthquake in Haiti, and nobody in Haiti will ever forget it. However, the people there will make you smile and laugh just as much as anyone would. They will tell you stories that will humble you, and despite anything they are currently going through, they will do their best to present their home to you with pride. I went to interview a woman who was 8 months pregnant and carrying a 1-year old child in one arm. In the other arm she carried a chair for me to sit on, so that I would be comfortable while we talked.

6.     You will make lifelong friends in less than two weeks

I left America for the first time in my life with a backpack and a suitcase and my passport. I arrived knowing one of the guys and knowing one other girl’s name, and I left with a sister, two musicians, and a group of people with whom I will always share a part of my heart. Every time I see them I can smell the ocean and picture the stars of Haiti. They will always be with me because every time I tell a story about Haiti, they are the roots that grounded me through all of those experiences. I hope that many of them choose to come back with me this summer, and I hope you consider doing it, too!

The only down side? As soon as you get back to America, you’ll want to turn around and go right back to Ayiti!

Photos: all photos belong to the author

Emily Adelsberger

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst