6 Local Farms You Should Check Out This Autumn

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Whether you need some apples for snacking on in your dorm, fun plans for an upcoming free afternoon, or are looking for a chance to buy local products from family run businesses, it’s always a great idea to head on over to the variety of farm stands and orchards that the Pioneer Valley has to offer. 

1. Atkins Farms

Since 1962, Atkins Farms has been in the business of providing locally sourced, fresh produce. With two locations only 10 and 15 minutes away from campus, Atkins Farms has both a standard country market and Your Local Market, where you can pick up farm fresh foods: a variety of fruits, vegetables, meats, syrups. They also offer ice cream at the Local Market, and sell delicious apple cider donuts (known as the best in the country!) On Saturday and Sunday, Sept. 30 and Oct.1, you can pick apples and pumpkins from their farm. Ordering online is also available.

2. Flayvors of Cook Farm

In this unusual autumn heat wave, why not take advantage of the weather and stop on over at Flayvors of Cook Farm: a small, family-owned establishment since 1909. Serving arguably the best ice cream in the valley since 1998, this small farmhouse offers 27 “flayvors” of homemade ice cream, frozen yogurt, and ice cream cakes. A quaint general store and seating area is also located inside. What more could you ask for in this seemingly enduring summer?

Flayvors of Cook Farm is located at 129 South Maple St. in Hadley, and is open Sunday through Thursday from 11 a.m. to 8 p.m., and Friday through Saturday from 11 a.m. to 9 p.m. 

3. Quonquont Farm

Located at 9 North St. in Whately, Quonquont Farm has been home to an 18th century tavern, a tannery, a tobacco farm, a dairy, and finally, in the 1970s, an apple orchard. You can pick your own apples and buy locally-sourced maple syrup, honey, homemade donuts and cider.

Due to the fact that it’s somewhat out of the way, you’re not going to find Quonquont to be overly crowded either. But don’t wait too long, although it’s warm outside, apple picking season is almost over. 

4. Simple Gifts Farm

All about sustainability, organically-grown produce, and giving back to the community, Simple Gifts Farm is located at 1089 North Pleasant St. in Amherst. According to their website, Simple Gifts Farm sells local farm-raised meat, eggs, cheese, yogurt, fruit, bread, pickles, herbs, flowers, green beans, cherry tomatoes and other veggies.

Coming up on Oct. 14, Simple Gifts Farms is hosting a small-scale Harvest Festival from noon to 4 p.m. with live music and freshly grilled food. 

5. Park Hill Orchard

A bit farther away, located at 82 Park Hill Rd. in Easthampton, lies Park Hill Orchard, where you can pick your own McIntosh, Cortland, Rubymac, Gala, Blondee, Fuji and Macoun apples, as well as blueberries and blackberries. At the smaller, quaint farm stand, Park Hill offers soup, cheese, apple pies, ice cream, fudge, cider donuts and their well-known cider slushies!

A self-sustaining farm, healthy principles and ethics concerning the community and the environment are fundamental to Park Hill. If you’d like to take a scenic drive, Park Hill Orchard is the place for you. 

6. Dickinson Farm and Greenhouse

Located at 309 E State St. in Granby, Dickinson Farm and Greenhouse offers both apple picking and a large farm stand where products from over 200 acres of farmland are gathered. Apple picking is located specifically at 134 South St. in Granby, on Saturdays and Sundays from 8 a.m. to 5 p.m. On top of that, their farm stand (open daily 8 a.m. to 7 p.m.) offers a wide variety of autumnal products, such as chrysanthemums, pumpkins, apples, cornstalks, gourds, and some fall decorations.

Family owned for over 65 years, you’re sure to get your money’s worth and have a fantastic time. 

Although the weather doesn’t seem to agree, the autumnal season is indeed upon us — so grab some friends and some cash, and head out to explore local community farms in the heart of the Pioneer Valley!

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 67

Rachel Walman

U Mass Amherst

Double major in English and Communications. Commonwealth Honors College Class of 2019.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst