This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

For me, music is essential when it comes to working out. Whether it be running, lifting, or another form of exercise, music is a huge motivator and is helpful in assisting a workout. Most times when I go to the gym and I realize I forgot my headphones, I will straight up leave. That is how crucial music is in accompanying a good workout.

“7/11” by Beyoncé

Beyoncé is a go-to for me when it comes to working out. This song is always played by my favorite instructor during the arms portion of spin at the rec center, and it has been on repeat ever since. Beyoncé is the queen of hype songs and radiating bad b*tch energy.

“Maneater” by Nelly Furtadodo

An old but classic hit. This song makes me feel unstoppable and is perfect for the gym. I remember this song trended on TikTok briefly and every single video I saw emitted the coolest badass energy.  The energy curated in these videos is what I try to encompass when listening to this song and working out.

“You & Me” (Flume Remix) by Disclosure, Eliza Doolittle, and Flume

This song was essential to my pre-game playlist for my ice hockey games in high school. Before every game, I would listen to this song and it would always get me so fired up with energy. When I finally had aux my senior year of high school, I would play this song on the bus and everyone loved it. They described it as the “perfect pre-game song.” Near the end of the season, we used it as the song we did our warm-ups to before games, and it has yet to leave my workout playlist ever since.

“Delilah (pull me out of this)” by Fred again and Delilah Montagu

I have been obsessed with this song ever since one of my friends put me on a couple months ago. The beat drops after the artist sings the lyrics “pull me out of this,” which makes me want to get up and dance every time I listen to it. Fred Again’s concert has been all over my TikTok For You Page, and the show looks incredible. Seeing Fred Again is definitely on my to-do list in the next couple of years. 

“Take it Off” by Fisher and Aatig

This song is another favorite, especially when it comes to working out and running specifically. Beat drops are everything when it comes to running because when that beat drops, you want to release all the energy you have and sprint as fast as you can.

“Run Boy Run” by Woodkid 

I first discovered this song in the movie “Divergent” and have been obsessed with it ever since. As mentioned above, beat drops are essential in radiating enough energy to get you through that final push when you are struggling on the treadmill.

Finding music to motivate you when working out and match your energy can be difficult and tough to find. Hopefully the songs listed above are as useful to you as they are for me! :) 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets 

Olivia Boyd

U Mass Amherst '26

Olivia is a sophomore at UMass Amherst studying communications and minoring in political science. Some of her passions include traveling, being active, trying new food, and watching sunsets. Growing up in Amsterdam, Olivia has traveled all across Europe and hopes to live there one day.