6 Fun Weekend Trips in the Northeast to Take With Friends This Summer

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

The end of the semester is close, and summer is finally here. I think we’re all ready to get out of the house and have some fun experiences. Whether you’re looking for a getaway for a long weekend or just a fun day trip, there’s plenty to do in New England!

Acadia

If you enjoy nature, Acadia National Park is the perfect summer getaway for you. You can check out the beautiful Sand Beach. If you enjoy something a little more active, then there’s plenty of hikes and scenic walks in the area. Also, be sure to stop by the coastal town of Bar Harbor to walk around town, grab dinner, and check out the shops.

Boston

Sure, Boston is close by, but how well do you really know Boston? Especially if you’re not sure where you’ll be living in the future, now is the perfect time to learn more about the city. Walk around Boston Public Garden, see a Red Sox game, or check out the Museum of Fine Arts or New England Aquarium. There’s plenty of delicious food options, or you can even take a food tour to experience lots of different options. Quincy Market and Newbury Street are great places to shop.

aerial view of Boston high-rise buildings and Fenway Park
todd kent/Unsplash

Cape Cod

Of course, Cape Cod is best known for its beaches, but there’s so much more to do. Go on a whale watching trip, spend time window shopping at local businesses, see a drive-in movie, or bike part of the Cape Cod Rail Trail or the Shining Sea Bikeway. Each town has its own charm. You can also head over to Nantucket or Martha’s Vineyard for the day for a change of scenery.

North Conway

Take a short hike over to Diana’s Baths and get your feet wet in the beautiful little waterfalls. Hike, drive, or take the Cog Rail to the top of Mount Washington. Check out the mansions and swim at the beach. If you’re ready for some adventure, you can go white water rafting or tubing. There are lots of options for hiking or swimming in a lake.

skyline of New York at night
Photo by Luca Bravo from Unsplash

New York City

If you’re looking for a change of pace, there’s nowhere better to go than New York City. There are too many options to list here, but New York City has something for everyone, from amazing restaurants and shopping to shows, museums, and tourist attractions.

Newport

The Newport Mansions are the main attraction in Newport, and the level of opulence in the mansions is amazing. You can also walk by the ocean on the Cliff Walk, spend some time relaxing at the beach, or go downtown to Thames Street for shopping and dining.

Travel
Photo by Annie Spratt from Unsplash
After a long semester and a long winter, we all deserve to have fun and enjoy the good weather. Of course, be sure to get vaccinated so you can keep yourself and others safe while you’re out having adventures.

Stay safe, and have an amazing summer!

Allison Brookhart

U Mass Amherst '23

Ally Brookhart is a senior at the University of Massachusetts, Amherst. She is majoring in biochemistry and is interested how science interacts with society. Ally enjoys exploring new places, reading, working out, and playing volleyball.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst