This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I’m somewhat of a film buff, but not in the way that that one guy tries to convince you that Tarantino is the greatest director of all time. It’s a family trait for me and the career I would like to pursue. However, what got me to this point are two things. One: I love the idea of falling into a world someone has created. And two: the Easter eggs (small details) that can reveal the entire plot without many of us knowing. Here are six Easter eggs in movies we all know and love.

“10 Things I Hate About You”

I absolutely adore this movie. The casting is great, and the chemistry between them is fantastic. Who wouldn’t like Heath Ledger, Julia Stiles, and Joseph Gordon-Levitt all in one movie? This film is a modern adaptation of William Shakespeare’s “The Taming of the Shrew.” Kat (Stiles) is the shrew in question, and Patrick (Ledger) is the one who ultimately “tames” her. The film is chock-full with Shakesperian eggs throughout to pay homage to the original story.

One small detail to check out is the name of the high school where they all go. Padua High School is suggestive of the setting of the play, which is Padua. Another Easter egg is that Cameron, Gordon-Levitt’s character, speaks direct dialogue out of Shakespeare’s production about Bianca: “I pine, I burn, I perish.” What a romantic sentiment. 

“Get Out”

Undoubtedly, there is currently a Black renaissance within the film industry. Jordan Peele’s movie is essential in understanding this resurgence of Black art and how it translates to the screen in a modern context. As I said before, I absolutely adore this movie. It is methodical, brilliant, thought-provoking, and well-done in every aspect. Daniel Kaluuya shines as the main character and truly brings the audience on a horrific roller coaster.

There is one scene that is pivotal to the entire film. Chris (Kaluuya) is bound to the leather armchair he sits in and watches the family’s malicious history unfold. Within the confines of the chair, cotton is the material that ultimately saves his life. Peele’s choice of irony is genius and subtly reminds the audience of America’s history with enslaved people and crops, with cotton being the most dominant and frequently brought up crop. What kept others in this unjust position grants Chris the freedom to leave. 

“Toy Story”

This film hypothesizes the existence of toys’ lives outside of humans’ lives. The plot seems so simple, but it continues to amaze both children and adults alike. Additionally, its characters are some of the most beloved in movie history. Woody, Buzz, Jess, Mr. and Mrs. Potato Head, I can go on.

However, there is one character that the audience either pities or dislikes because of his psychopathic mentality towards his toys: Sid. Sid lacks parental involvement and often takes it out on his creative contraptions, these being a baby head on a metal spider structure and a green crane on top of a doll’s legs. If that wasn’t scary enough, the filmmakers animated the carpet out of Stanley Kubrick’s The Shining. This Easter egg represents and recognizes the gravitas of the iconic film. It is a minuscule detail, but it adds another dimension to Sid’s characterization throughout the movie. 

“The Conjuring”

From my movie choices, you might think that I am a horror fanatic. Truthfully, jumpscares are anxiety central for me, and I only thoroughly enjoy a few movies that fall into this genre. With that said, this is one of them. The film centers around a famous couple (the Warrens), who investigate a demonic possession at a family’s farmhouse. The ghosts are haunting, the family is terrified, and the Warrens are incredibly brave. What’s crazy about this story is that the famous duo exists in real life and owns an occult museum. You can find the real Lorraine Warren at the bottom left attending the fake Warrens’ lecture. This slight inception is a quick moment within the movie, and if you blink, you might miss it.

“Mean Girls”

Lastly, the cult classic that influenced the “On Wednesdays, we wear pink” mantra and the infamous group: The Plastics. I highly doubt that I need to shower this film with praise that you all already recognize. The movie is fantastic and created a staple wardrobe, dialogue, and story to resonate with generations to come. The titular conflict being between Lindsay Lohan’s character, Cady, and Rachel McAdams’ character, Regina. Queen bee Regina is often seen wearing a diamond-encrusted “R” around her neck. It solidifies her position as the person on top and showcases her immense wealth. Cady, an average girl from South Africa, is firstly seen in ill-fitting clothes that are deemed unfashionable by The Plastics.

As the movie continues, Cady is swept up in the materialistic nature of the group and inadvertently desires Regina’s position. Once she has accomplished this, you can see her character wearing a large diamond-encrusted “C” around her neck. This similar fashion statement reveals Cady’s changed personality and recognizes her newfound leadership. The detail is missable, but is exceedingly important to the protagonist’s character arc.

I hope you enjoyed the films I chose and now are on the hunt for all the Easter eggs you can find!

Amala Diamond

U Mass Amherst '23

Amala Diamond is a sophomore at UMass Amherst who writes and photographs for HerCampus. Her passions are social justice, woman's empowerment, and advocating for mental health. Her goals are to encourage and continue these difficult conversations and familiarize political issues with a younger audience.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst