This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Broadway tickets can be a hot commodity–so if you’re planning a trip to the Big Apple this Spring, it’s never too early to get tickets! Don’t worry if you’re not well-versed in the world of musical theater. If you’re looking to enjoy two to three hours of theater magic, you’ve come to the right place. 

Beetlejuice

Winter Garden Theater

From the screen to the stage, the 1988 Tim Burton classic comes to life at the Winter Garden Theater. Led by the Tony-nominated Alex Brightman as Beetlejuice (who, yes, sings like that 8 times a week), the story follows the death-obsessed teenager, Lydia, whose new house is haunted by a recently deceased couple and a degenerate demon whom she calls on to scare away her insufferable parents. If you’re into the whole “being dead” thing, you’ll die over this musical! But be warned–if you die during the show, the production will not stop.

Ain’t Too Proud–The Life and Times of the Temptations

Imperial Theater

Ain’t Too Proud follows the legendary Temptations in the 1960’s as they navigate rise to fame and civil unrest in the United States. Directed by two-time Tony Award winner Des McAnuff, the show features the Temptations classics “My Girl,” “Papa Was a Rolling Stone,” and many more!

Hadestown

Walter Kerr Theater

In this modern post-apocalyptic take on the mythological stories of the underground world, Hadestown tells the story of Orpheus on his journey to save his fiancé, Eurydice, from the hands of King Hades’ underground factory, Hadestown. Winner of 8 Tony Awards, including Best Musical, Best Scenic Design (as a techie, I’m only a little jealous of this gorgeous set), and Best Original Score, Hadestown is a musical well worth waiting for.

Tootsie

Marquis Theater

Based on the 1982 film, Tootsie follows the story of an unsuccessful actor who disguises himself as a woman to land the role of a lifetime. Tootsie stars the Best Actor in a Musical winner Santino Fontana (who you may recognize as the voice of Hans in Frozen). Deemed by The New York Times as one of the better comedic musicals since Guys and Dolls, Tootsie is unstoppable!

Mean Girls

August Wilson Theater

A 2000’s teen classic, Mean Girls tells the story of transfer student Cady Heron who becomes frenemies with Queen Bee, Regina George, and devises a plan to take her down but quickly learns you can’t cross a Queen Bee without getting stung. So get in loser, and get ready to go back to high school in this totally fetch musical!

Come From Away

Gerald Schoenfeld Theater

The breathtaking Come From Away tells the true story of 7,000 passengers stranded in the far-removed town of Newfoundland following the attacks of 9/11. Directed by the Tony Award winning Christopher Ashley, Come From Away tells the tale of unexpected camaraderie as strangers turned into friends in the most unexpected and extraordinary circumstances. Check out their NPR Music Tiny Desk Concert here.

For more information and to find tickets to these shows and more, check out the Playbill website here.

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6

Danielle Efrat

U Mass Amherst '23

Danielle is a Junior majoring in Art History and minoring in Art and Education at UMass Amherst. She is passionate about all things photography, travel, music, and her dogs, Bruno & Buddy, which you can see pictures of on her Instagram @daniellefrat
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst