50 Shades of Cray: My Break Up With Christian Grey

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Because of the recent cast release for the 50 Shades of Grey movie I have been forced to relive my break up with my fictional boyfriend. Yes, me and Christian Grey were exclusively dating and yes, we aren’t together anymore. It ended about a year ago when I finished the third book. Tragic.

I have this habit of putting myself in the position as the main characters of the books I read. Let me tell you, my favorite debut was as Anastasia. I’m not even talking about the sexual-ness of the books, though, I’m mostly talking about the emotional side. What’s so great about the three-book series is how much the reader is forced to love Christian, even if you’re really not into that kinky stuff that goes on in the book. Just like the author turned Anastasia into his #1 fan, E.L. James does that for the reader and it’s hard not to be totally smitten. Something about a guy telling you what you’re doing and completely and totally taking care of everything for you is kind of amazing sounding. Although I believe if most of our boyfriends ever told us we couldn’t do something we’d probably cry-laugh and walk the other way. 

Not to spoil it for anyone who hasn’t read it, but Christian Grey will be your husband for like a week or however long it takes you to read the books. In my case, it was about 4 days. When I put down the book, I found myself thinking about him. Something about the fictional character is totally intoxicating

Christian’s a broken guy; he went through a lot in his life and he’s so fragile, which kind of makes the reader love him. Because of this, he has a tough exterior and he needs to control everything. He found what he wanted in Anastasia and he had to have it. He goes through great lengths to keep her safe, even buying her a new car. Can you say brand new Audi A3? He’s perfect.

Now, I really am not a big reader but ladies you HAVE to read this series. Also, if you’re in public reading it you’re sure to get a couple of looks from Christian’s other ex-girlfriends totally understanding you and wanting to give you a hug. My friend Meg and I started a support group with each other in order to get over it. I’d receive and send texts saying “I miss Christian” for a while after we both finished the books. Time heals all.

The moral of this is for those of you who haven’t read the books to do so. The movie will be here in no time and it would be a shame for you not to experience the books beforehand. Don’t be turned away by the sexual nature because it seems that most people are. There is so much more to the books than handcuffs and blindfolds. With that said, I’m also not telling you to join a book club with your Mom and G-Ma with this series either.

If you haven’t heard, Charlie Hunnam has been cast as Christian Grey and Dakota Johnson as Anastasia. I have no doubt the producers will do a great job at really placing these actors into their roles. 

Apparently there is an online petition going around campaigning for Alexis Bledel and Ryan Gosling to be the two main stars. What do you think, did the producers make the right choice with Hunnam and Johnson, or is your name at the top of this petition?

I’m definitely willing to start and join support groups once the movie comes out in August 2014 because we all know old wounds will break open and we’re going to have to come together. We have some time to prepare, though, so until then… Laters, baby.

Samantha Walsh

U Mass Amherst

I am a rising senior journalism major, education minor at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. I've always enjoyed writing and journalism but my career goal is to become an elementary school teacher after I (hopefully) get my masters next year. I love hanging with my family, my puppy brother Charlie, and of course my friends. My friends and I can usually be seen at parties laughing uncontrollably, crying hysterically, and/or dancing like we're in a rap video. Sometimes all at once. It's a good time. My favorite past time is drinking iced coffee and I'm way too obsessed with my iPhone. I work full time in the summers at TPC Boston as a waitress and beverage cart girl. It's pretty ideal. Im super excited to start a life for myself outside of college but if you or anyone you know has a device to slow down time and make senior year last extra, extra long, please contact me. Xo
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst