Style

5 Ways to Spice Up Your Nightlife Outfits (On a Budget)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Ah, college nightlife: the perfect opportunity for a personal fashion show. Every Thursday through Saturday in the various fraternity houses and bars is a kaleidoscope of the hottest trends and colors. Looking for new ways to show off? Keep reading!

1. Animal Prints

Have you noticed the new ~wild~ touch in Forever 21 lately? That’s right, ladies, animal prints are hot and in style; cheetah, zebra, and snake prints are all making appearances on the runways everywhere. A personal style tip would be to choose an animal print statement piece within your outfit, whether it’s a crop-top or your shoes, and make that your focus. Check out stores like Forever 21, H&M, Zara, etc. for some budget-safe options.

Emily Ratajowski, top model and fashion icon, photographed in snakeskin print on her Instagram: @emrata

2. Neon

In addition to this season’s wild streak, neon colors have made quite an appearance on the runways; this trend has been heavily supported by the Kardashians via Instagram. Add a pop of color into your outfit with a fluorescent orange or green body suit or go on Fashion Nova and buy a remake of Kim Kardashian’s infamous neon pink dress (pictured below). Personal style tip: add a pair of neon colored sunglasses to your look to stand out further in the night.  

Kim Kardashian making her appearance to Kylie Jenner’s 21st birthday party.

3. One-Shoulder/Cut-Outs

Give all the boys the “cold shoulder” with this saucy trend – the one shoulder cut out. It’s edgy, fun, and easily makes anyone look fashionable. If you would like to kill two birds with one stone, as the saying goes, use your one-shouldered, one-piece bathing suit as a body suit for the night, we promise we won’t tell your secret! Try out sites such as Zaful or Romwe, just be sure to check the reviews on products to know how the product quality is. This cut-out trend is not solely limited to one-shoulder pieces; any unique cut out piece applies. Whether your top only has one shoulder or is completely missing a back, this trend will surely make you stand out in the crowd.

SheInside One-Shoulder Crop Tee, $4.00

4. Accessorize, Accessorize, Accessorize!

No outfit can be complete without the classic finishing touch of an accessory piece. This category includes jewelry, purses, shoes, etc. Looking for a new piece? Try body chains. Personal style tip: put the chain on first and then your top. This method works well with tight tops or low-cut tops and presents the jewelry in a subtle, flattering manner.

Body Chain by Forever 21

5. The Bermuda Short

Remember those awkwardly cut shorts that went just above the knee that everyone used to wear? They’re back, and hotter than ever! The one-of-a-kind Bermuda short has made recent appearances in various textures, such as jeans or spandex (biker shorts) material. Personal style tip: pair with your favorite tank top or tube top and match with heels.

Kendall Jenner and Bella Hadid, Top Models, heading to a Cannes Party

Photos: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Grace Sung

U Mass Amherst '21

Grace Sung is a creative journalist of Her Campus U Mass Amherst Chapter. She is a Sophomore Marketing Major with a strong interest in fashion and plans to move to New York City after college. Her hobbies include journalling, spending time with family and friends and drinking way too much coffee.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst