This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

If you’re like me and have a slight shopping (or even browsing) addiction, thrift stores are the perfect place to go. Not only is everything pretty cheap (especially on a college student’s budget), but they also have some pretty cute stuff. Along with that, thrifting is good for the environment. The fashion industry is the second largest contributor of pollution in the world, and shopping second hand is a great alternative. Thrifting can also just be a fun thing to do with friends.

Check out the sizes above yours

I know this one might seem kinda obvious, but I felt it was worth mentioning. Make sure to look at the sizes above yours because you never know what you’re going to find. In my experience, the sizes aren’t organized that well and they end up getting mixed up and you also might find some great things if you go a size or two up. Oversized clothing is both trendy and cute, so it’s never a miss. If you can sew and do small alterations, you might even be able to change certain items that are a little too big. 

Don’t lock yourself in just the women’s clothing

If you typically shop in the women’s clothing, don’t be afraid to venture into the men’s section too. I personally love checking out the button-ups, t-shirts, and sweatshirts. If you’re a frequent flannel wearer, this is the perfect section for you, they always have dozens of different colored flannels. Or if you love cropped crewnecks, men’s sweatshirts are perfect for this because they are so soft and all you have to do is cut a few inches from the bottom.

Don’t sleep on the home decor and furniture

I always check out the home decor and furniture section of thrift stores. I don’t necessarily need furniture, but it never hurts to look because sometimes they have the cutest things. Their vintage couches along with the random and sometimes questionable knick-knacks are always worth looking at.

Stop by the books section

I have always been an avid reader and the books section of thrift stores rarely disappoints. They have books for everyone. They have kids books, cookbooks, literature, cheesy romance novels, teen fiction, fantasy, adventure, “Twilight” (seriously every thrift store has at least one “Twilight” book), and even textbooks. Textbooks can be really expensive, but if you can find them at thrift stores, it would save you a lot of money. If you’re an English major like me, or just taking classes in the subject, the literature section is amazing, especially if you’re looking for any Shakespeare plays. The books are usually in pretty good condition. They do sometimes have annotations, but that isn’t always a bad thing.

Don’t forget accessories

Thrift stores always have a great selection of accessories. I love looking at the purse and bags section because they always have so many to choose from. Some of the bags might be outdated or well used, but there are some hidden gems and certain styles of bags that are coming back into fashion. Also, make sure to look at the shoe selection. They always have so many in a large variety of sizes and styles.

These are just some things I always keep in mind whenever I go thrifting. If you’re looking for more modern or trendy pieces, check out stores in bigger cities or college towns.

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst