me and my boyfriend in new york city
me and my boyfriend in new york city
Photo by Kira Christina Tosi
Wellness > Sex + Relationships

5 Ways to Keep Your Relationships Exciting, No Matter How Long

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It is totally normally to feel a little bit bored in your relationships sometimes, whether it be with a lover, friend, or family member. Whether you spend only a little bit of time with someone or all of it, it’s helpful to have some ideas of fun activities you can do together. Something that is crucial for all of the coming ideas is making time for each other. It may not always be the easiest thing, but special things often take work!

1. Self Care

First and foremost, you need to respect and prioritize yourself. How are you supposed to really love someone else if you can’t love yourself? Take time to relax: facemasks, baths, hikes, art – whatever makes you feel like your best self should become a normality in your schedule. One of the best ways to keep your relationship exciting no matter how long, is to make sure you are as confident and happy as you can be; otherwise, it isn’t likely you’ll have the best time possible!

woman applying skin care
Photo by Sora Shimazaki from Pexels

2. Healthy competition​

A little bit of healthy competition goes a longggg way. Although it can be a little bit dangerous if you’re as competitive as I am, competition can make any situation super fun. My mother and her boyfriend are like kids every autumn, spending any spare time outside seeing who can catch more leaves falling from the trees. Personally, I love board games. Settlers of Catan makes all my friends and family crazy. Baking competitions, Mario Kart, who can run up the hill the fastest? Little games like these will keep you busy and exhilarated!

me and my boyfriend sunset
Photo by Kira Christina Tosi

3. Explore attractions in your city

This is easily my favorite option on this list. I live in Boston and the museums are always my go-tos when I’m bored. No matter where you live, it’s always a great idea to explore the museums, and tourist attractions of your city. Zoos and aquariums are so much fun. Wherever you go, you’re bound to learn something, but even if you don’t you’ll have an adventure with someone you really enjoy spending time with. Who would say no to that?

aerial view of Boston high-rise buildings and Fenway Park
todd kent/Unsplash

4. Try different cuisines

Get out of your comfort zone! Trying different cuisines could mean trying a bunch of restaurants that focus on the foods of different cultures, or even going to the grocery store and picking up a bunch of fruit you’ve never tried before. Thinking outside of the box like this not only helps you to expand your horizons, but it also could allow you to discover something new that you LOVE. Trying new foods could also be a bridge into educating yourself about culture.

Korean food
Photo by Jakub Kapusnak from Unsplash

5. Exercise together

Getting a workout in with a boyfriend or girlfriend could be the perfect way to get those summer bods in session while also motivating each other to be your healthiest selves (not to mention enhancing your stamina together). I’ve also found that working out with a partner can make you explore different ways of working out, if they generally do something else, which can help expand your horizons and learn some new techniques. Exercising together could be anything from doing workouts together at the gym, going on runs, hiking to see waterfalls, or even playing some basketball at the local park. It might also lead to helping each other become more healthy in other walks of life too!

me and my boyfriend at a waterfall
Photo by Kira Christina Tosi

These are just a few tips on keeping your relationship exciting, no matter how long it is. While being a great place to start, remember that the key to a long, healthy relationship is communication and respect. Good luck, I believe in you <3

Kira Tosi

U Mass Amherst '23

Kira Tosi is a sophomore at U Mass Amherst, and an Italian Studies major. She grew up in a Russian family which sparked her passion for language, culture, and traveling. Follow along to hear about her crazy experiences around the world and potentially see pictures of her bunnies!