This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

It’s almost inevitable. College sickness is an extremely common thing for the start of the new year. From the basic cold to the flu, everyone seems to fall under the weather at one point or another. Adjusting to a dorm room brings many new things… including germs. With many people confined to a small space, once one person gets sick… everyone else seems to follow. Here are a few tips to help fight off college germs! 

1. Utilize the Hand Sanitizer Around Campus 

You may just walk right by them or not even notice them; however, throughout campus, there are so many hand-sanitizer stations. By taking the extra fifteen seconds to stop and get some, you’re fighting off 99.9% of germs (according to the bottle). Since railings, door handles, and everything in between are used by thousands of people on a college campus every day, it’s a good decision to use hand sanitizer whenever you can. 

2. Always Wash Your Hands 

Another tip that may seem simple is to always wash your hands when you have the chance. After touching door knobs, desks, etc. that are being used from other students, washing your hands can kill off those germs and prevent getting sick. Try to go out of your way to wash your hands after being around unsanitary supplies. You can even sing the ABC’s to entertain yourself while washing!

3. Get Your Zzzzs 

Whether you are staying up late to study for a test or hanging out with friends, the lack of sleep can weaken your immune system resulting in illness. Getting more sleep will make you feel better and more well rested. Sleep should be highly prioritized for many aspects of your health. If you start to feel sick, getting that extra sleep can fight off the germs trying to enter your body.

4. Stay Hydrated 

Drinking water has many health benefits such as clear skin, weight loss and improved immune system. If you unfortunately get sick, drinking water can make you feel better and help you get well faster. Make it a goal to drink more water each day to stay healthy and prevent illness! 

5. Take Care of Yourself 

You know your body the best; therefore, you can tell when you aren’t feeling 100%. Sometimes you may have to use that gut feeling and do what is best for you. Some nights it’s best to stay in and relax to prevent your sickness from developing. Although attending classes is very important, know your limits because missing one class to recover can prevent you from missing three classes if you get sick. Being smart and taking care of yourself is a great way to sickness. 

Images: 1, 2, 3, 4

Caitlin Curtin

U Mass Amherst '23

Caitlin Curtin is a freshman at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is currently majoring in business in the School of Isenberg. Her hobbies include fitness, beauty and lifestyle.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst