Palm Trees California Street Blue Skies
Palm Trees California Street Blue Skies
Tessa Pesicka / Her Campus

5 Ways to Be Environmentally Friendly as a College Student

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Every year we become more conscious of the impact we have on the environment. Sometimes as college students it feels like we can’t do much when it comes to environmental issues. Here are 5 ways you can be more eco-friendly:

1. Invest in a reusable water bottle

Two Friends With Water Bottles
Her Campus Media
I bought my reusable water bottle about a year ago and I am never going back! Not only is it environmentally friendly, but it is more convenient and cheaper. A reusable bottle is a one-time price plus if you get a knockoff brand then that price can be pretty low. It can take around 450 years for a plastic water bottle to break down and decompose and only 23% of the water bottles in the United States are actually recycled. Making the change from plastic bottles to reusable ones is totally worth it and I couldn’t recommend them more.

2. Replace plastic bags with reusable ones

Trader Joe\'S Reusable Bag
Jocelyn Hsu / Spoon
In the US alone we use around 4 billion plastic bags each year and only 1% of plastic bags are returned for recycling. Plastic bags cannot be recycled with your other plastics. They get stuck in the machinery of recycling centers which oftentimes causes a delay in the recycling process. Next time you go shopping, bring your own reusable bag. Not only are they eco-friendly, but they can be fashionable too!

3. Go thrifting

A picture of clothes on racks at a clothing store
Prudence Earl
The fashion industry is the second largest polluter in the world. The industry is responsible for 10% of global carbon emissions. Each year 70 million barrels of oil are used to produce the material found in most clothing. Most clothes end up in landfills where it can take up to 200 years to decompose. However, a lot of old clothes do end up in thrift or consignment stores. Shopping at these places is a more environmentally conscious choice. Not only is thrifting better on your wallet, but it can be a really fun outing with friends.

4. Trade your tampons/pads for a menstrual cup 

Tampons
Kristine Mahan / Spoon
Each year 200,000 tons of waste is created from sanitary products – all containing plastic. Like most plastic goods, pads/tampons/panty liners take hundreds of years to decompose. One person goes through 2,640 pads/tampons in ten years compared to the ten years a menstrual cup lasts. Using a menstrual cup would not only save you the money that usually goes towards regular sanitary products but it also has less of an environmental impact.

5. Go paperless and take notes on your computer

woman using laptop
Pixy
In a year, Americans use about 2 billion trees in paper products. Taking notes on your computer can save a lot of paper. Also, you can make edits easier on your computer and type much faster than if you were writing by hand.

Samantha Butts

U Mass Amherst '23

Samantha is a junior at UMass Amherst studying English and Journalism. She enjoys reading, fashion, watching movies, thrifting, and going out with friends. She is passionate about women's rights, the environment, and politics.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst