This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

There are a surprising amount of cute critters running around the UMass Amherst campus. Some of them are of the wild variety and some of them are a little more domestic. Either way, a lot of these UMass animals have quite the Instagram presence! There are a variety of accounts dedicated to sharing paparazzi-style candid shots of animals as well as accounts dedicated to animals who know how to pose. Want to brighten up your Instagram feed? Scroll through this list and give a follow to these UMass animal Instagram accounts!

@umasssquirrels

“Squirrels of Amherst” is such an entertaining page to scroll through. Content is generated from submitted squirrel photos and videos, so that means even your quick Snapchat story of a quirky squirrel has the chance to be featured on this account! College campus squirrels are so fun to observe because they’re usually doing things like eating leftover sandwich crusts.

@umassduckies

If you’re familiar with the UMass campus pond, I’m sure you’re familiar with the UMass campus geese. However, don’t forget about the ducks who swim in that pond as well! There is a full gallery of cute duck photos complete with videos of fuzzy ducklings. This account also relies on submitted content so don’t be afraid to send in your own duck snapshots!

@heronsofumass

Did you know that herons also spend their free time hanging out at the campus pond? These fascinating birds also have a full Instagram account dedicated to them. Just like the other UMass animal accounts, this one is also one you can submit content to! (This account also has some pretty good memes)

@goodboyoncampus

Of course, this list wouldn’t be complete without the famous AJ! AJ is a 14 year old Brittany Spaniel and an emotional support animal. If you haven’t already seen this precious pup out and about on campus, you can take a look at his Instagram account! He’s always dressed up in the coolest UMass gear, often sporting a pair of sunglasses. Scrolling through his feed will definitely brighten up your day!

@umpdk9alec

K-9 Alec is “a 2 year old male Labrador Retriever, and is State Certified in Explosives Detection as an officer of the UMass Police Department (UMPD)” according to his Instagram bio. He’s a hardworking guy! His Instagram feed is full of photos of him hanging out with people on campus as well as him wearing his UMPD uniform. My friends and I have met Alec personally and he is such a nice dog!

Scrolling through your Instagram feed and seeing a cute squirrel or pup is enough to boost anyone’s mood. Do yourself a favor and start pressing the follow buttons on these wonderful Instagrams. Don’t forget to keep an eye out for these animals on campus as well!

Vera Gold

U Mass Amherst '23

Vera is a senior communication major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is the Facebook Coordinator of her chapter and loves writing about digital media, beauty, and entertainment.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst