5 Tried and True Tips for Surviving Long-Haul Flights

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Traveling to faraway places is always an exciting experience. We always look forward to the destination, but sometimes shy away from fully enjoying the journey there. Long-haul flights (flights of about 6 or more hours) can be exhausting and uncomfortable, but they don’t have to be! As an experienced long-haul flier who regularly makes trips from the Western to Eastern hemisphere, I am no stranger to being in an aircraft for over 14 hours. Long flights used to be a daunting nusciance to me, but over the years I have figured out a way to turn them into a fun prequel to my vacations. Want to give your long-haul flight experience a glow-up? Then keep on reading!

Pack your carry-on bag well

Take the time to pack a carry-on that is organized and efficient. Don’t bring too many unnecessary items that you will need to lug around and keep track of. Keep all of your essential travel documents in one place and ensure that you have all of the items that will make your journey a pleasant one. I recommend at least bringing a neck pillow, a device to entertain yourself with, a pair of comfortable headphones, a reusable water bottle that you can fill up before the flight or ask a flight attendant to fill for you, some gum or hard candy, and an organic snack that is low in salt content.

Dress for success

You only need to remember two words when planning your long-haul flight outfit: Comfort and layers.

Skip the denim and tight clothing for a long flight. Wear a cute pair of sweats or leggings and pair them with a soft tee and sweater. The temperature on planes can fluctuate quite a bit and you don’t want to be sweating or shivering for the majority of your flight.

Entertainment

Ever notice (or fail to notice) how many hours you spend binge-watching your favorite shows? Fill your devices with movies and shows you’ve been meaning to watch and tackle them all on your flight. You’ll travel to a fictional world for a few hours and you’ll hardly notice the time it takes to reach your destination!

Self-care

Just because you are on a plane doesn’t mean you can’t pamper yourself a bit. Bring your skincare routine in TSA-approved amounts and pack a hydrating sheetmask in your carry-on. Cabin air is recycled throughout the flight, drying out your skin easily. Your skin will be thankful for some moisture.

Speaking of moisture, remember to drink plenty of water! Your internal organs need it as much as your skin does.

Also make sure to stand up in regular intervals to increase circulation in your body since sitting for prolonged periods of time is detrimental to your overall health. You won’t have the room to do your full workout routine but don’t be afraid to do a lunge or two in the airplane aisles!

Get some z’s

Sleep is a foolproof method of making it through a long flight. Not only will you be rested-up for your destination, but time will fly by (no pun intended) in the blink of an eye. Invest in a comfy neck pillow, a soft eyemask, and some comfy earplugs and you’re ready for your mini detour to dreamland!

Let’s make our next faraway adventures ones that we can enjoy from beginning to end. Enjoy the destination, but embrace the journey too.

Vera Gold

U Mass Amherst '23

Vera is a senior communication major at the University of Massachusetts Amherst. She is the Facebook Coordinator of her chapter and loves writing about digital media, beauty, and entertainment.