sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=719&height=464&fit=crop&auto=webp
sarah gualtieri 9CApNIkRXRI unsplash?width=398&height=256&fit=crop&auto=webp

5 Throwback Halloween Movies

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

This year, go old-school by watching one of these classic Halloween flicks! Whether you like hide-under-the-blankets horror movies, horror movies that aren’t quite as bad, or comedy flicks, this list has something for every Colliegette. So pick a movie, and curl up with some candy corn, or popcorn if you’re not feeling the Halloween spirit that much.

Halloween (1978)

This is considered one of the original “slasher” films for a reason – it is not for the faint of heart! But, if you like this sort of horror, this movie is about a homicidal man who escapes a mental institution, and stalks and terrorizes a teenage girl and her friends. The title comes from the fact that the events take place on Halloween.

Friday the 13th (1980)

This one’s another intense slasher film, as I’m sure some of you know from the 2009 remake. But isn’t the original always better? For those that don’t know, it’s about a group of teenagers who try to re-open an abandoned campground, and start getting killed one-by-one.

Sleepy Hollow (1999)

Alright, this one isn’t that old, but I think most college students and teenagers consider anything earlier than 2000 pretty old. It’s also not as scary as the first two. While it’s still horror, it’s not an intense slasher. Plus, Johnny Depp will keep your fears at bay. Based off of the legend of the Headless Horseman, Depp plays Ichabod Crane who is sent to Sleepy Hollow to investigate the decapitations of three people.

Beetlejuice (1988)

Alright, here’s one for those of you who want to laugh this Halloween. I’m pretty sure we all know this Tim Burton classic, but here’s a refresher: a dead young couple hire a “bio-exorcist” from the underworld, named Beetlejuice, to scare away the current residents of the couple’s former home.

Ghostbusters (1984)

Another one we all know well, Ghostbusters is great for those looking for a comedy. With Bill Murray, Harold Ramis and Dan Aykroyd, it’s about three oddball “parapsychologists” who catch ghosts in New York. 

Pictures: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5

Irina Kovari

U Mass Amherst

I'm a senior marketing major at UMass, with a passion for writing and equal rights. I'm on MASSPIRG at UMass, drink too much caffeine, and eat too much chocolate.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst