5 Things You Can Do As A College Student To Help the Environment

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

While being a college student comes with a lot of newfound freedom, when it comes to the environment, it feels like there’s only so much we can do. We have no control over what food we are served, how our waste is disposed, or how much plastic we are forced to use. That being said, there are still many things we can do to combat the practices of our universities and help the environment. Here are just a few of my favorite options!

Take Cold Showers

Cold showers are an amazing way to cut back on water usage. If you go to UMass, you know that just five minutes in the shower is equal to 12 gallons of water, and when I take hot showers, I find myself spending way more time in there than I need to. Cold showers are the perfect way to make sure your showers are as efficient as possible. Even if you only take one cold shower a week, you’re still saving water. And they aren’t only good for the environment, they also have a lot of health benefits!

Ditch the Car

The beautiful thing about college campuses is that everything is within walking distance. Cars are huge contributors to global warming, releasing about 24 pounds of CO2 per gallon of gas. Walking is the perfect way to not only reduce the amount of pollution that a car would produce, but also to get to know your way around campus!

Reuse Your Bags

I never go to a dining hall without a reusable bag. I can’t even imagine how many brown bags they go through in a day at UMass, and even though paper bags are significantly better than plastic bags, they still carry environmental consequences. Instead of getting a new one each time, try using the same one as long as you can. Or bring a cute tote bag!

Buy a Reusable Water Bottle

A reusable water bottle is a must in my opinion. Institutions are not always reliable with their recycling — even if they have recycling cans — and a plastic water bottle has a lifespan of 450 years. Reusable water bottles not only reduce the amount of plastic that goes to landfills, but it will also keep your water cold and save you money in the long run!

Go Thrifting

I think we all fell victim to online-shopping during quarantine, and it’s been an even harder addiction to kick now that we have no supervision at college. The solution? Thrifting! Buying second-hand is the perfect alternative to fast fashion clothing that will inevitably end up in landfills polluting the environment. UMass students: there’s a Goodwill and Salvation Army less than 10 minutes away!

It’s important to not lose hope in the fight for a clean planet. By changing just a few of our habits, we as individuals can really make a difference, no matter the circumstances we find ourselves in!

Bridie Howlett

U Mass Amherst '24

Bridie is a freshman at UMass Amherst majoring in Animal Science. In her free time, you'll find her listening to music, reading a book, or obsessing over her dogs!
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst