5 Things to Know About Chris Brown’s Album

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Chris Brown has had some ups and downs in his career, but his new album could be one of the high points, especially with the lead-off single “Fine China,” released in 2013, shows a return to form, and his song from the album “Loyal” was burning up the airwaves in early 2014. Here are 5 things to know about Chris Brown’s new album.  

1.     He swears to God he’s moving on:

According to him he’s over Rihanna, and he has no intentions of ever going back. On the eponymous opening track, on Chris is showing he’s maturing and becoming the man everyone wants to see.

2.     We get to hear a “new” Chris:

X is like nothing Chris has ever done. The techno-based beats mixed with the classic R&B vibes we expect from Chris created an album that definitely surprised many of his fans. He wanted to pay homage to Stevie Wonder, Quincy Jones, and Sam Cooke, and the throwback sounds are indicative of that. 

3. It’s Raw:

The emotions discussed on the X are all feelings everyone goes through. Chris does a good job of opening up about his troubling past and we finally get to understand where he’s coming from. Tracks such as “X” and “Stereotype” showcase Brown’s true feelings about those he hurt and those who hurt him.

4.     Jhene Aiko >

Everyone’s new favorite songstress makes a surprising appearance on the track “Drunk Texting”. The track describes a situation that every “couple” will go through at some point. The two just made the awkward situation sound better. Jhene’s soft and sultry voice makes the song a sure-fire hit.

5.     Come on, it’s Chris Brown:

Chris Brown might be everyone’s favorite person to hate but he’s absolutely gorgeous. There’s no denying that!

sha Jones

U Mass Amherst

Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst