5 Things to do Off Campus This Fall (Yes, Freshman too!)

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

1. The Green Bean

A cafe and eatery which opened in 2007, the Green Bean is responsible for providing breakfast all day and lunch sourced locally. The cafe provides vegan options such as wheat-free vegan corn cakes for pancakes, or vegetarian options such as veggie sausage and tempeh strips. Lunch encompasses a handful of sandwiches, burgers, salads, and a build your own quesadilla portion. Hot and cold beverages are also provided, from bottomless coffee to iced tea. If interested in looking at the menu and learning more about this awesome stop, you can check out their website here.

2. Pulaski Park

A small urban park located on Main Street in Northampton, Pulaski Park provides a natural shaded area with beautiful trees, walkways and benches for people to enjoy. At the entrance of the park there are tables and chairs where people can eat and relax. Many events are held here as well, such as music, dancing, and food tastings. A small stage inside of the park holds these events, alongside a garden. For students who don’t have a car (a.k.a. most freshmen) the park has a bus stop for the PVTA.

3. Thornes Marketplace 

An indoor series of shops and eateries, Thornes resides as a place to eat, relax, and shop. Located in downtown Northampton at 150 Main Street, the marketplace has shops such as 25 Central, where clothing and accessories can be purchased. There’s also a bookstore called Booklink Booksellers if you’re interested in some new reads. Or if you’re looking for some great bath products and skincare, Cedar Chest has a great selection of brands to choose from including Clinique and Burt’s Bees. If interested in more body care and natural wellness products, Cornucopia offers a variety of products. Hungry? Try Heavenly Chocolate, Share Coffee and Café, or Herrell’s ice cream. There are also plenty of events held at the marketplace such as yoga classes, and sales going on throughout the shops. You can check out more on their website here

4. Urban Exchange

Shopping at Target can become a bore, and if you’re looking for a different, more sustainable clothing source, then Urban Exchange is the place to start. A consignment boutique located on Main Street (close to Pulaski Park), it offers a colorful scheme of clothing and specialty racks to provide a schematic, chic environment. Their sizes range from 0-14 for clothing, and accessories such as handbags are taken in as well. The only items that won’t be accepted are items that are of “fast fashion” brands, such as Forever 21 or H&M. The store takes in apparel for consignment seven days a week, and you don’t need to make a formal appointment to have your items reviewed. A plus is that while they’re reviewing what you have brought, you can receive 20% off your purchase. To learn more about the boutique and its mission, you can head over to their website here.

5. Eric Carle Museum

Located on 125 West Bay Road in Amherst, the museum serves as a non-profit organization that exhibits the art and inspiration of picture books. The museum is named after Eric Carle, a beloved designer and writer of children’s books. The museum consists of three art galleries, an art studio, and theater. The Carle collects and celebrates picture books from around the world, as well as providing educational programs for adults in literacy and arts integration. If you ever were a fan of The Very Hungry Caterpillar, then this museum is for you. For more information on the exhibitions and general accessibility, check out the website here

Olivia Capriotti

U Mass Amherst '23

A sophomore at UMass Amherst, Olivia is double majoring in Journalism and Spanish (with a concentration in Public Relations). With her last name starting with 'C' there are three things she can't live without- challah, chamomile tea, and Charlotte Bronte. When she's not drinking tea, you can find her perusing through designs on RedBubble, watching movies from the 60's, or listening to Brockhampton. She anticipates the new school year and the experiences that accompany it.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst