Five Sweet Summertime Spots: Best Places in MA To Visit!

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

With warm days ahead and the academic year winding down, it’s time to start planning your epic summer! I keep a running list of the places and things I’d like to try throughout Massachusetts that range from walking trails, restaurants, and vintage stores. These places are perfect for when you may have a few hours of downtime or a completely free weekend to travel further to try new things!  From my non-exhaustive, ever-growing list, I have procured the top five spots that seem the best for the upcoming sweet summertime. So, grab your favorite pens or whip out your phone, like I do, and start crafting your sweet summertime bucket list!

Amherst Farmers Market

For a quick Saturday morning activity, the Amherst Farmers market is the perfect place and close to campus! Here you can get local produce, handcrafted goods, and yummy treats. It’s definitely a must-visit for all UMass students.

Seed to Stem; Worcester, MA

This cute small business in Worcester offers a variety of houseplants, natural home goods, and handmade goods. It’s the spot for people who love plants and want to revamp their spaces to reflect a more natural, earthy vibe this summer. 

The Blessing Barn; Mendon, MA

This massive barn-turned-thrift store has literally everything imaginable. I could spend hours browsing for clothing, furniture, decor and trinkets. They also take donations for those who have piles of extra belongings from spring cleaning!

Cape Cod Lavender Farm; Harwich, MA

For anyone dreaming of the perfect photo-op of running through lavender fields, look no further than this farm located in the heart of The Cape. It displays a variety of plants and flowers, but they are most known for their lavender. The best time to visit the splendor of the lavender plants is in late June/early July when all the lavender is in full bloom. This farm also sells products made from their organic lavender for everyone to enjoy!

Citrus & Salt; Boston, MA

Trendy, aesthetically pleasing, and with a reputation of having delicious Mexican food, this restaurant is a newer addition to my list. Although I have yet to visit, I think it would be ideal for a weekend brunch moment with the gals (& guys too!). 

At times Massachusetts can seem boring and lacking fun activities. Part of the challenge is that I have lived here my whole life and have had so much time to visit the “typical” Massachusetts places like the beaches and restaurants. Yet, there are plenty of beautiful gems in our small, quaint state as long as you go looking for them. The variety of places on this list were influenced by word of mouth or, let’s be honest, TikTok. Hence, the list has a little bit of everything to accommodate any scenario with various friend groups and family in mind. Hopefully some of these places pique your curiosity and you can add them to your summertime bucket lists! Enjoy adventuring in MA! 

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Meghan Kean

U Mass Amherst '22

Meghan is a biochemistry major with a business minor at UMass. In her free time she enjoys hanging out with friends, watching true crime, and drinking coffee!