5 Struggles You Will Face Your First Month of Freshman Year

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Freshman year of college is an exciting time where we are introduced to various new things —especially during the first month. Everything is unfamiliar, and most of the time we are lost and confused while trying to navigate our way around campus. As a freshman that has just completed my first month of school, I’ve reflected on the biggest struggles I’ve faced thus far.

1. Classes

Classes in college are a whole new world compared to high school. Coming from a small high school, all of my classes have always been in the same building. In college, classes are all over campus and sometimes hard to find, especially considering the fact that UMass is huge (and even has two buildings with the same name). 

At UMass, classes are typically between a 10 to 15 minute walk, and as a freshman I definitely did not know the protocol for what was an acceptable time to arrive to class. The first week of classes I was either 30 minutes early or five minutes late. You’re also more accountable for your success in school. It’s your responsibility to check if there’s homework, to know when exams are, and to prepare for lectures by reading the assigned chapters so that you know what you’ll be going over in the next class.

Tips:

Before classes start, it’s a good idea to walk out your entire schedule. By doing this, you can get a feel for how much time you need to walk to class and you’ll know exactly where you’re headed.

In terms of coursework, my advice would be to check the webpage for your class (like Moodle or Google Classroom — whatever your professor chooses to use) and your email every day to make sure you’re on top of all your assignments. It’s important to check your UMass email often because this is how the school will get in contact with you about current news and announcements.

Something else that has helped me a lot is keeping a planner because I can see visually when each assignment is due and how much time I have to complete it. Likewise, I try to make to-do lists every morning of all of the work I have to do that day so that I know how to manage my time wisely.

2. Laundry

A common struggle for many freshmen who come to college is that they’ve never done their own laundry before. Something to be mindful about is that there are not nearly enough washers and dryers for the number of students living in the building. Because of this, you could be left waiting hours for a machine. My first day doing laundry, I waited three hours after washing my clothes to finally get a free dryer. Also, if you have a big load, the dryers might not fully dry your clothes. After waiting the three hours for an open dryer, almost all of my clothes were still damp after the cycle. Not to mention, laundry can get expensive fast. It costs $1.50 to use a washing machine and another $1.50 for each drying cycle, so plan accordingly.

Tips:

Try to do laundry on the weekdays. The trick is to get it done when most people are sleeping, so early in the morning or late at night are your best bets. I would avoid Sundays, because everyone waits until the last day of the week.

Although it’s tedious to wait hours for the washer and dryers, waiting in the laundry room may allow you to meet people from your building.

By splitting your laundry into smaller loads, you’re almost guaranteed all of your clothes will come out dry (yay!). 

Finally, quarters are your new best friend — you’ll need them if you want clean clothes. (Although nowadays, most machines on campus also take UCard debit, so pick your preference).

3. The “Freshman 15”

The so-called “freshman 15” is one of the harshest realities of college, especially considering the bittersweet fact that UMass has number one dining. Having an unlimited meal plan allows access to all of the dining halls as many times per day as you want. Plus, you can’t miss out on Late Night at Berk. Especially on the days they’re open until two in the morning, with a DJ and the best dinner specials at UMass (my favorite is the mozzarella sticks), it’s hard to pass up. Also, Baby Berk trucks have the best quesadillas, and are almost always out and about around campus.

Tips:

The dining halls have healthy options that still taste delicious, so mixing in some vegetables every once in a while can help you avoid gaining unwanted lbs.

Our recreation center offers fun classes, such as hip-hop cardio, Zumba, spinning and even 30-minute abs to help you get active! If you prefer to work out at your own pace, they have a vast amount of weights and machines available for your own leisure. The rec center also offers personal trainers to help guide you through your workouts.   

4. Making friends

Trying to make new friends at college can be the most stressful part of your first year. Especially for those who come to college not knowing anybody, it can be intimidating. At a school like UMass that has so many people, it can feel like you’re meeting someone new every day and it becomes harder to build concrete friendships.

Tips:

Although it can be hard to make new friends, the first month is the best time to get to know people. Everyone is feeling just as nervous as you are and they’re just as eager to make new friends. Sometimes you have to put yourself out there and initiate talking to strangers by striking up a conversation.

Joining clubs and getting involved around school is a great way to make the environment seem smaller and meet people that have similar interests as you.

5. Homesickness

All this newfound freedom and unfamiliarity can be exciting, but it’s totally normal to miss home. Most of us freshmen have never been away from home and families for very long, so it can be a huge adjustment.

Tips:

The best way to combat homesickness is trying to get as involved as possible to distract yourself. Focusing on your schoolwork, joining a club or spending time with new friends are all good diversions to help with the adjustment process.

If you’re missing your family, giving them a call whenever you get the chance can be comforting.

Although you may feel like you want to go home on the weekends, it’s important to stick out the first few weekends, as hard as they may be. This is the only way you’re going to adjust to living on campus.

If you have tried everything and are still feeling homesick, the Center for Counseling and Psychological Health is always an option. You can set up a session and they’ll help you assess the problem so you can find solutions.

Overall?

The first month has been scary, new and exciting. The adjustment process takes a different amount of time for everyone, but eventually you’ll get the hang of it. At college, you’re introduced to more opportunities than ever before. UMass has so many resources and opportunities for us, and it makes every struggle and low point all worth it in the end.

Images: 1, 2, 34, 5

Angela is a freshman and a writer for Her Campus Umass Amherst. She is majoring in Legal Studies and enjoys movies, music, and spending time with friends and family.
Contributors from the University of Massachusetts Amherst