This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

Let’s face it, life can often get pretty stressful. The work seems to be piling up and your social calendar is pretty full. It seems like there is absolutely no time to just sit down and watch some Netflix. I recently found myself in that position of stress and started getting really sick, which actually forced me to just take a step back, sit in bed, and watch Netflix. While doing this, I realized how important it is to just laugh and not always take everything so seriously. According to the Mayo Clinic, laughter can also stimulate circulation and aid muscle relaxation, both of which can help reduce some of the physical symptoms of stress. It was refreshing to just sit back, relax, laugh, and not constantly worry about what I have on my to-do list. I was fortunate enough to find some shows to help add some laughter into my life.

New Girl

I am currently watching this series for the second time over because it is just extremely witty and automatically brightens up my day. The show is about a teacher in her 20s, Jess, who moves into a loft with three guys after a bad breakup. The characters end up becoming a bit of a crazy family who ends up in hilarious situations, like ending up at one of Jess’s adult student’s houses because they suspect he might actually be creepy due to the way he writes in class. The episodes are only 20 minutes long and short enough for a quick little study break.

Modern Family

Modern Family is a relatable show for both parents and kids and has a humorous take on what family life can be like. The show follows three different families who are related to each other, and addresses issues related to race, gender, and sexuality, but in a comedic way. I really enjoyed laughing while watching this show this past summer.

One Day At A Time

This sitcom is so funny that I always binge every new season within two days. The main character is a Cuban single mother raising her two teenage children with the help of her mother. Her daughter is a strong-willed feminist, and her son is a social butterfly. Along with it being a comedic sitcom, the show is also very touching and shows the importance of having a support system for loved ones.

Young & Hungry

The characters in this entertaining series are Gabi, who is a chef and food blogger, hired by Josh, who is a famous entrepreneur in the world of tech. Gabi has to prove herself to Josh’s personal aide Elliot. Her best friend Sophia and Josh’s housekeeper help her officially land the job. This show has many dramatic twists and turns and keeps you intrigued for all five seasons.

Kim’s Convenience

My favorite part of this show is the wholesome relationship between Mr. and Mrs. Kim, who is the married couple that lives in Canada and owns a convenience store. Since my parents are also immigrants, I could relate to the storyline, as it explores the dynamic between parents and their children who were born in a different country.

These shows are most definitely binge-worthy and will help you procrastinate if that’s what you are looking to do for a bit. And remember, a little procrastination and laughter can be good for the mind and body.

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets!

Harneet Kaur

U Mass Amherst '24

Harneet Kaur is a Senior at UMass Amherst majoring in marketing in the Isenberg School of Management. She is extremely excited to be writing for Her Campus and thinks it's a great way to kick off her time at UMass. Along with writing, she enjoys listening to music, walking her dog, and playing the guitar in her free time.