Bullet journal spread
Bullet journal spread
Anumeha Rajvanshi
Wellness

5 Reasons Why You Need to Bullet Journal in 2022

This article is written by a student writer from the Her Campus at U Mass Amherst chapter.

I started bullet journaling in 2019, which means that January of next year is going to be my three-year bullet journal anniversary. I’d consider myself a bullet journal connoisseur (to an extent), which is why I’ve realized that since we’re getting close to a new year, it is the perfect time to share my thoughts and experiences with bullet journaling and why you absolutely need one in 2022!

Let’s start by talking about what a bullet journal is. A bullet journal is a note-taking method created by Ryder Carroll in 2013. Bullet journaling is usually practiced in a dotted journal, but honestly, you can use any notebook you’d like. My favorite bullet journal is the LEUCHTTURM 1917 Medium A5 Dotted Hardcover Notebook. As Ryder says, it’s a fantastic way to keep track of the past, order the present, and plan for the future.

Here are five ways that bullet journaling has changed my life!

bullet journal spread
Anumeha Rajvanshi
IT’s CUSTOMIzable

Every planner I picked up at a store always had one thing or another that I didn’t like about it. I felt like there was never enough space to write notes, make to-do lists, or track habits. Bullet journaling allows me to create the spreads I want that cater to my personal wants and needs. I’m able to fully customize page layouts and I’m not limited to a predefined space every day for a whole year. I also feel like I’m more inclined to use it since I’ve put in so much effort into it.

it allows me to set my priorities straight

One of the first things I reach for in the morning is my bullet journal. It allows me to keep track of future tasks and have a plan for the day, the month, and even the year ahead. I look at all these tasks like little bricks that help build my road to the future life I want to have. I get to wake up every morning with a purpose and know that all my days have meaning. Bullet journaling also helps me keep track of habits I struggle with, like how often I practice self-care, how many hours of sleep I get, or how much money I spend every day.

it helps me to be a better person

Bullet journaling for almost three years has allowed me to keep adding and trying new pages to see what works for me. It helps me learn more about myself so that I can be more mindful of myself. For the past two years, I have had a page in every monthly layout of my bullet journal where I write one thing that I am grateful for every day. This allows me to look for the best, even on the worst of days. Bullet journaling has also allowed me to understand my goals so that I can work towards being the best version of myself.

It’s my creative outlet

Back in high school, I would constantly be working on projects where we would have to draw or write, but I feel like being a STEM major in college doesn’t allow me to be as artistic as I used to be. Bullet journaling is my creative outlet where I get to doodle and draw whatever I want. When I first started bullet journaling I didn’t think I was that good at it, but with time, my pages got more structured and I started getting pretty good. I could see drastic monthly progress, let alone yearly progress. Now, you can catch me spending all my free time scrolling through Pinterest looking for future spread ideas.

It Lets me Reach higher levels of productivity

A bullet journal is traditionally a collection of monthly, weekly, and daily to-do lists. The idea behind it is that writing the same items repeatedly in your to-do list will compel you to either complete it or remove it from your list. I am 100% more productive with my bullet journal. I feel like writing tasks down makes me accountable for them, so I treat my daily tasks like a set of challenges to prove to myself that I can finish what I started every day. Bullet journaling lets me focus on the more important tasks first, teaching me that it’s okay to reschedule or cancel. Taking care of “little victories” adds up and makes a more difficult task seem less daunting. Over time, you’ll notice that each month is more productive than the month before!

bullet journal spread
Anumeha Rajvanshi

My bullet journal is my happy place. It’s a place where I get to recharge my battery before I start the day. Looking back at three years worth of bullet journaling lets me reflect on my growth and keep track of wonderful memories. I already can’t wait to start planning my next bullet journal! I hope I’ve convinced you to start bullet journaling in 2022!

Can’t get enough of HC UMass Amherst? Be sure to follow us on Instagram, listen to us on Spotify, like us on Facebook, and read our latest Tweets

Anumeha Rajvanshi

U Mass Amherst '23

Anumeha is a senior studying Biochemistry & Molecular Biology and Neuroscience. In her free time, you'll find her fueling her shopping addiction, jamming to Blackbear and Bazzi, bullet journaling, or discovering new restaurants. She is also a research assistant at Richardson's Lab, President of Nu Rho Psi National Honor Society in Neuroscience, and General E-board Member of the Biochemistry Club.